cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox and Java

N/A

Firefox and Java

I have just downloaded Firefox as an alternative to IE. Will Firefox automatically access the Java files that IE used, or do I have to do anything to allow Firefox access to these files?
I often play an online game called Bookworm, and IE played it fine, but when I tried it with Firefox, I was informed that I had to download a Java applet to allow me to play it. When I did this, the first time I tried Bookworm, Firefox crashed to the desktop. I am running XP Pro.

Finally, is there any truth in the notion that using non-MS applications is safer as you are less likely to be affected by hackers, viruses, and suchlike?
3 REPLIES
lowry
Grafter

Firefox and Java

When I first downloaded and started using Firefox, I needed to download and install Sun Java webstart because I could not use Microsoft Virtual Machine to use java applications in Firefox (this no longer exists anyway as of Service Pack 1a). Have you downloaded Sun Java webstart and installed it correctly? fter you have done so, things should run fine.

Generally, because Microsoft applications are so widely used, virus writers, etc tend to target Microsoft products (such as Internet explorer) because they have the potential to do alot more harm than if they targetted the virus at a lesser-used product (such as Opera). As Firefox is open-source, it means that there are many volunteers contributing add-ons and improving security, etc which may mena that things are more secure and well-developed.

matt Wink
N/A

Firefox and Java

Thanks, Matt. I downloaded the Java runtime file and it solved the problem.
N/A

Firefox and Java

Word of warning though.

Java works fine until you upgrade. If you do upgrade Java and a site you're visiting requests an older version Firefox will not load the site. I've reported this as a bug and other users have confirmed this. Sadly no news of a fix.