cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FireFox Incompatability HELP!!!!

N/A

I'm currently in the process of a mammoth task involving creating my own rugby website.

So far so good, but I've just run into a MAJOR problem! If you load my webpage (www.therugbypitch.co.uk) in Mozilla FireFox, an error message appears and text seems to overflow the text layer.

What on earth do I do to prevent this error? I'm using Macromedia DreamWeaver to produce the website. i've been told that Active X elements may be a problem, but which of my website's elements may use Active X?

Please help me remedy this, I've tried pretty much everything!
10 REPLIES
N/A

The line giving the url not found is

<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="; url=http://">

If you remove the line its ok. I dont see why you reload the page at the begining?

Why not set it to go straight to the main page? Doing this is a big No No and search engines dont like it and I cant see the point.

The other problems I would see as being CCS related as Firefox doesnt like some of these
N/A

Okay, thanks for that...

The problem is now that the navigation bar is placed right at the very top and the text overlaps the white layer.
N/A

As a quick fix all I could see is to drop the ccs remove the refresh line as indicated and re do the site with tables. Its a small site and should then work ok.

CCS is the new thing but some browsers have fun with it.

I still dont see the point in the redirect on the home page
N/A

One of the sites I mess with is http://www.projectrockstar.com - its first page is blank, but for a purple background image and a bit of writing and the search engines love it. I shouldn't think it'll do any harm! Plus it's being used for adverts.

As soon as I pressed 'send' last time I removed the white layer and used tables so that's what I'll be doing.

Thanks for the refresh line thing - that's that sorted.

Oh, P.S. - I am only 16, hence some of this stuff isn't exactly second nature to me.
LiamM
Grafter

A very good effort for 16. I started where you are....

One comment... lighten up the background a bit. You'll be amazed how much difference it'll make to the site looks. Lighter backgrounds generally make content easier to read.
vic_newey
Grafter

a redirect 'countdown ' is a big no no , If I see this kind of thing I just move on
N/A

Ok then, well, I'll take the view that two people can't be wrong and when I get chance I'll remove the refresh page and change all the links.
N/A

If you want to get full compatability then take a look at Flash. With Flash it will work on all systems.

You cant allways get everything to work in all browsers so dont worry to much.

Take a look at

http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp

for some very good tutors on CCS and other webstuff. CCS is the new in thing and tables are out but as we see it can give problems with some browsers.
N/A

Just to point out that if something doesn't work on Firefox it is generally because it isn't part of standard HTML, Internet Explorer is rubbish for adhering to web standards, so you get lazy code that works on IE but nowhere else.

Code something correctly and Firefox will display it.

By CCS do you mean CSS? Cascading Style Sheets? Again, if they are formatted correctly FF will show them, I know because I've just made a site using Dreamweaver and CSS and it displays fine on both IE and FF, but I can't give you the URL coz it's not publically available!

Try downloading the free HTML/XHTML editor HTML Kit from www.chami.com
Load a page into it and hit the Tidy button, it will tell you where there are errors in your code.
N/A

I thought he meant CSS too, but I didn't want to question in case he knew a lot better than I did!

Thanks guys, I'll put all that into practice shortly.