cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finger Command

N/A

Finger Command

I have a site where the finger command will not return any results.
Finger command is used to trigger mail delivery from Plusnet's SMTP backup mail servers.

The command is run at the command prompt as follows:-

finger postmaster@autoturn.plus.net
or
telnet autoturn.plus.net 79

I believe the autoturn servers look at the ip address that the command was received from and the corresponding mx records for that customer and then the mail stored on the backup server gets re-sent.
There are no problems receiving mail or surfing everything is working ok except the finger command.
I have :-
1. Re-configured router
2. Turned off the router 's firewall
3. Replaced the router alltogether
4. Run the finger command successfully on my laptop at one site yet it still fails at the other site.
5. I have setup nearly 50 of these so far with identical hardware and software and cofiguration (except user names and ip addresses) I only have this problem on one site.
6. Tried using telnet command with autoturn.plus.net ip address (212.159.3.9) and it still doesn't work on the site in question (it does on other sites)
7. I Ping 212.159.3.9 from the problem site which proves connectivity.

As i have eliminated both the router/firewall, dns & the machine i'm sending the finger command from i can only see that the problem must be with Plusnet.

PlusNet just keep saying the problem is at my end and they won't help support it or give me any ideas as to why it doesn't work. The one thing they do tell me is that they have no record of receiving the finger command. This site has no DNS problems and can resolve name to ip with out any bother.
I believe the problem may be with plusnets ip records. Can anyone shed any light on this please?
3 REPLIES
kissack
Grafter

Finger Command

I have recently had my autoturn problem fixed so that mail does not now loop, but on testing that today I find that I cannot receive the messages that are now held (?) on the autoturn server.

I have tried finger and no messages turn up. trying the telnet command ends with 'Connection closed by foreign host' and no mail arriving.

sounds like a similar problem? Can anyone advise what responses shoudl be received by finger and/or telnet in this way?
kissack
Grafter

Finger Command

+net forced mail delivery for me and said there were no fingers from my ip in their logs! What is the normal output from finger postmaster@autoturn.plus.net? Or from the telnet command? The telnet indicates I am connecting so why is there no log from my ip ( i am behind a adsl router that forwards everything to the machine running the telnet - is telnet on 79 a good alternative to finger?)
kissack
Grafter

Finger Command

still not managed to get 'finger' to work, but Support have confirmed that telnet is an invalid route to try and trigger mail delivery.