cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback request for new site

magimix
Dabbler

Aloha everyone. Having recently got my account with plus (and hence decent web-hosting, finally!) I decided it was high-time to retire my old site and try something a bit nicer.

I'm a PHP, HTML, CSS newb, so I'd be greatful for any feedback or constructive criticism.

Old site (just for fits and giggles)
http://www.magimix.plus.com

New site
http://www.zokbar.com

Not all the old content has come over yet, and there are still a few things to clean up (some content flaws that mean not all the pages are standards compliant just yet), but it's a start, I think.
5 REPLIES
N/A

It's nice, I'm a fan of the simple designs such as yours. Makes it all seem so much simpler and less cluttered Smiley
N/A

Like Chris, I think there's a lot to be said for simplicity, so I can't guarantee that overall opinion will be as good, but ....

1. Can I read it easily without messing around changing text size?
Yes

2. Are there zillions of pointless animated gimmicks flashing at me and making my finger reach for the "back" button?
No

3. Are the links clear, and is there sufficient space between them that yours truly, Mr Inaccurate Mouse User, will not accidentally hit the wrong one?
Yes

So - it gets the thumbs up here. Smiley

I see some of those nice little W3C logos at the bottom, so that's a good sign too.

I suppose that if you caught me in one of my "miserable, critical old so-and-so" moods, I might question the heading - seems to be a bit deep, a lot of empty white space there which isn't particularly attractive when the page first opens, so maybe the red and blue pic should be a little smaller? That really is about all I can see that might want thinking about though.
michaelscott
Grafter

Your site validates as XHTML1.1 yet you display the HTML4.0 W3C Logo. You should change it Smiley

Otherwise, nice job Smiley
magimix
Dabbler

Ah yes, XHTML1.1 compliant code, but HTML4.0 logos.

Content compliancy is a little up in the air at the moment. Originally, I was going for HTML4.0 compliancy and so used the appropriate logos. Then I noticed that I could (or so it seemed) go for XTHML1.1 with little extra effort.

For most of the content, that was true. Alas, I ran into a real show stopper when it came to making the conent with Applets compliant. As you probably know, the Applet tags are deprecated to hell and back - one should use Object tags.

Alas, using Object tags as they *should* be used works fine in Firefox, Opera, Netscape (etc), but not in IE. IE's interpretation of Objects tags (particularly for Applets) is so very, very non-standard its almost physically painful.

One either has to render normal code, or IE tuned code based on how the browser announces itself, or try and find some way of hacking together a single code block that works in all browsers.

Unfortunately, lots of people with alternate browsers (including myself, I must say) set them to announce themselves as IE to work around poorly coded sites that refuse to work if they don't like the browser ident. The IE tuned code would not work in these browsers. And the combi-hack is the stuff of nightmares, and wouldn't be complaint in a million years.

So I'm thining of changing the templating slightly, so that all the non-applet content announces itself as XHTML1.1, and the game pages will continue to use the Applet tags in the meantime (despite the deprecation, at least these old tags give me a single code form that works in all browsers), and announce themselves as the appropriate standard.

I uploaded the new site while this was all still up on the air, however. thus conludes my filibuster Tongue

I'll think about reducing the size of the header logo. I guess these things are hard to judge when you have a 1280x1024 res desktop. Maybe I could reduce the height of the MJL swirl, but keep the textual part the same height.

Currently I'm playing about with phpBB to see how I can integrate that into the site (Shockingly easy to do, I have to say).
magimix
Dabbler

1. Can I read it easily without messing around changing text size?
Yes

2. Are there zillions of pointless animated gimmicks flashing at me and making my finger reach for the "back" button?
No

3. Are the links clear, and is there sufficient space between them that yours truly, Mr Inaccurate Mouse User, will not accidentally hit the wrong one?
Yes

Heh, you just listed three of my most hated website bugbears! Sub-sizing text seems to be in vogue at the moment, and it is *intensly* annoying. Same goes for densly packed, sub-sized links. I also profoundly dislike animated GIFs, sites that are wholly implemented in Flash, sites that use Applets or Flash to do rollovers for links, the use of patterned background images (it gives me headaches if the contrast between the text and the background isn't high enough) and anything that plays sound (my PC is my stereo. Its a shock to the system when you have your music blaring, and suddenly some crap MIDI tune kicks in at 50 gajillion decibels).

All in all, I'm a very grumpy browser of websites :lol: