N/A

Fax with Plusnet broadband

How do/can i fax with broadband :?:

Martin
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You can't.

You need to keep your 56k modem in the machine as well so that you can still use the fax facilities from your PC.
N/A

I still have my 56k modem in the machine
Do i have to re-connect it and dis-connect my broadband modem to use the fax facilities:?:

Martin
Community Veteran

[Incorrect info removed - Peter[

You can use the 56K modem to send faxes to other numbers without disconnecting your ADSL modem. Just connect the modem to the filtered side of the ADSL filter/splitter.
N/A

Surely there is no ISP involved in sending a fax - it goes directly to the recipient. As such, there is no need to disconnect the ADSL modem.
N/A

Thanks for all your replies
As I would only use fax facilities very infrequently it's not worth the bother
My daughter had asked and now i know the answer

Martin
Community Veteran

Surely there is no ISP involved in sending a fax - it goes directly to the recipient. As such, there is no need to disconnect the ADSL modem.

Yes you are correct, wasn't thinking right. Incorrect info now removed.
N/A

... it's not worth the bother
I'm not sure what bother :?
If your modem is already installed, you can use the built in fax software with Win2k or WinXP to send faxes very easily. For receiving faxes, it is probably easiest just to register for the PlusNet fax2email service and they will just get emailed to you. I am sure it isn't much more difficult with Win9x.
N/A

For receiving faxes, it is probably easiest just to register for the PlusNet fax2email service and they will just get emailed to you. .

Thanks - that could be what i'm after as i was hoping that i would be able to receive replies too, as ASDL is always connected
I'll give it a try
Martin
N/A

Regardless of ADSL, you should be able to use your line for both sending and receiving faxes.

ADSL and normal voice/fax communication work on a different frequency. As such, they can both occur on a single line, at the same time.

This means you can make a call, send or receive a fax, all whilst browsing the net.

However, for your computer to send and receive faxes (as noted), it will need a seperate fax modem (most normaly 56K modems do this) along side the ADSL one.

Because my line has a primary purpose of voice calls, I use the fax-2-email service for replies. As it is quicker, works in a power cut and I don't get annoying fax noises down my line, that I always miss when hitting the receive button on my computer Tongue
N/A

Thanks Philip

I've just discovered that Plusnet's fax to email service is not available on my account, so i'll use/connect my 56K modem as U suggested

Martin

Moderators note (John) Quote removed. Please do not quote the entire content of a post immediately before your reply. It serves no purpose and only adds to the space used on the server to store messages. Quotes should only be used to highlight part of the post you are replying to and full quotes should only be used if the post you are replying to is a long way back up the thread.
N/A

I can recommend the fax to email service as I have been using it for a while now and never had any problems with it - I've set my win2k fax software to say that it is being sent form the "fax to email" number and people seem to pick up thats the number to fax anything back to without any problms...I've even been asked how comes I have an 0870 no. at home.

Also sending faxes via the 56k modem doesn't present any problems while connected via adsl - they seem to work fine together (although the faxes seem to take a little longer to send - never timed it and it might be my imagination...)

R.