Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faster downloads - excellent results for non ADSL users

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I have installed a fast download tool which costs £25 per annum - £1 per month. At first I was very sceptical that it would do what it claims, despite very good press write-ups.

However, they offer a 14 day free trial, so I gave it a go. I must say, I am extremely impressed. Basically, it uses compression software to compress web pages which are then squirted down the line on to the local computer, where the data is then uncompressed and displayed - I suppose it works on the same principle of Winzip. What happens is that after clicking a URL, there is a bit of a pause and nothing seems to happen, and then suddenly the image bursts open. Pages do not gradually open like they do normally.

There is always a downside to these things and that is to get maximum download speed - which is close to ADSL speeds - there is some degradation in resolution for some but not by any means all images. But when surfing, that just does not matter. If you want to see an image in full resolution, then you can just turn the software off temporarily and do a screen refresh and you get full resolution. And that is when you realise the difference in download speed, because the refresh is so slow by comparison. The alternative is to set the software to medium speed when you still get much faster downloads but there is no degradation of resolution. However, I prefer to have it going hell for leather.

I have used it for about a month now, and I have got so used to the speed that if I am using a secure site (where this software will not work), then I get really frustrated ! It really does do what it claims to do. It even downloads pop3 data faster, despite being on a secure server.

I actually use it on a BT Home Highway connection all the time, but I have tried it with a 56k modem and it is just as good. So for anyone who cannot justify the expense of ADSL and all the extra hardware needed, or does not have an ADSL enabled exchange, this is a poor man's alternative. No hardware is needed and the installation is automatic, taking less than a minute.

If anyone wants to know more about this, then please send me a PM and I can let you have the details.
2 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Faster downloads - excellent results for non ADSL users

I have installed a fast download tool which costs £25 per annum - £1 per month

I wonder which i'd choose Wink
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's called a senior moment ! I think I meant £2 per month !! Shockedops: