cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP time out with large uploads

N/A

All my problems went away with the new ftp server.

Never understood why the upload always worked from the dos prompt and would fail with any windows ftp client programme.
35 REPLIES
N/A

Okay I'm trying to upload a DJ mix in mp3 format to my webspace. Its 32mb in size, and I know I have enough webspace left because I deleted two files of the same size just before uploading (even though it says otherwise in the Portal).

Anyway, the upload gets to 100% of the file size uploaded, with 3 seconds remaining, and just stops there. The program hasn't crashed or anything, just the upload seems to have frozen. I checked within the program (Leech FTP) and the built in time out has been disabled. The error message displayed is

421 No Transfer Timeout (1800 seconds): closing control connection.
! Socket Error: connection reset by peer

It doesn't seem to make sense to me. If I close Leech FTP once it has reached 100% and the upload has seemingly frozen, I can play the MP3 just fine the whole way through. Its just annoying because I usually stick Dreamweaver on a synchronise upload when I've changed my site and added new mixes, and just leave it to itself, and the error causes it to keep retrying to upload this one file. It seems to occur with any large file I try, but not the smaller ones like the pages or the pictures.

In short : Help!!
N/A

Apologies the error message is actually :

Upload failed on 212.159.9.131 (/htdocs/audio/mixes/metro001.mp3). (operation timed out or aborted)
Community Veteran

Are you using a passive or non-passive connection. Whichever one you have tried, try the other method. It shoul dbe an option related to connection settings or somewhere else (don't know your FTP client).

Also is this to your www or cgi webspace?

Have you tried another FTP client - some are better than others. There are loads of free ones you could try or try the command line version included with windows (create a DOS window and enter ftp.
N/A

Leech FTP doesn't appear to have a passive/non-passive option anywhere.

This is to my WWW webspace.

I will try another client, but it has happened with both Leech FTP and also Dreamweaver MX's built in FTP client, so I suspect it is something to do with the webspace.
Community Veteran

If another FTP client does not work, try with any firewall or resident virus scanner disabled in case they are effecting the connection.

If none of that works you will need to raise a contact us ticket and get it investigated. If PlusNet come back and say they can ftp to your webspace fine it must be something local on your PC that is causing the problem.
N/A

This very same problem has been happening with my FTP client (Terrapin) also johnston100. Only on large uploads though. There was a thread a while ago regarding this stuttering/hang. It never was resolved.

In my case the transfer just stops and the message is 'transferring file',but nothing happens. I found that by clicking off the disconnect and then connect it starts the transfer. I use this work around which is a bit of a pain but trying to convince PlusNet that there is a problem is more of a pain!

Hope this is of some use.
N/A

Would a router be affecting this in any way?

It puzzles me why it only affects larger downloads and only freezes after the file has actually been 100% uploaded, but some sort of return signal or another to tell the FTP program to stop uploading because its done is missing.
N/A

try smartFTP (its free from www.smartftp.com) and no a router would not stop a large file being sent
N/A

I had the same problem but with smaller files. The ftp programme was inbuilt to Weatherlink but I also had problems with wsftp pro various versions. Using my University web space there wasn't a problem with the same client. Strangely when I used a Dos client there wasn't any problems.
I had a long dialogue with plusnet, however everytime I posted "I think I fixed it but let run for a few days to see" they closed the ticket. Of course they'd never read the old tickets about the problem so you had explain everything again from the beginning. In the end I gave up with frustration and continued to use my University web space and then link across from my plusnet web space.
I may try again too see if the problem has gone away.
N/A

Ah well I won't be swapping back to plusnets web space for the live updates. The problem is still there. I was doing some other updates and the timeout problem re-occured. Had to cancel the upload and logoff and log back in. This time I didn't try to include so many files in the upload.
N/A

Any updates on this? I'm having the same problems that people have mentioned here.

I'm trying to upload about 80 small (no more than 3K each) HTML pages to my www webspace. I've tried passive and non-passive connections on my NetGear 824M router with different FTP clients (Dreamweaver and WS_FTP Pro), but I keep getting timeout errors. I could probably upload the files in smaller batches, but even that's not guaranteed to work.
N/A

Nope I've still got the problem. Try doing with the inbuilt dos program if you're using win2k/xp. I did this automatically for a week without any problems. It just seems a problem with Windows apps which doesn't make sense.

Could raise yet another ticket I suppose.
N/A

I got the same problem in Dreamweaver MX 2004. FTP seems to randomly fail with not completing files so I get partially transferred files which are very annoying. Even with sub 100k files. Also the dynamically assigned DNS server appear not to work. I now use someone elses (Powernet) I think. Which always works...
N/A

I was using non-passive. Why should either method fail if they were previously working?