cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP for multiple users

N/A

FTP for multiple users

Hi All

Ok, what I am wanting to do is allow visitors to my website to upload gfx files via ftp. More often than not they will create a folder with their name, and then upload the files.

Now, the question is, how do I let them do this without risking letting them get into other folders on my website - such as the website main folders, and other peoples folders?

Hope someone can really help me out here

TIA
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

FTP for multiple users

If this is a site hosted on PlusNet it is not possible as you will need to give everyone access to your normal username and password which is a bad idea and also a breech of the T+Cs.

If it is hosted on your machine (i.e. running your own webserver and ftp server software) then this should definatly be possible depending on the software you use.

Chris
N/A

FTP for multiple users

Hiya Chris

Yes I thought I would need to using own hosting and not PNs - thanks for the speedy reply
N/A

FTP for multiple users

Or, instead of allowing them FTP access, you could just find some sort of script which allows them to upload.

The one I sometimes use is this one. You can see a demo of how it works basically at www.ukdragon.com/b3ta (it was designed for b3ta messageboard users could upload pictures if they didn't have hosting.
N/A

FTP for multiple users

I have a cgi script (lite version) that allows me to upload files - what I was after was a way to upload a folder containing pictures - this way I could d/l myself in one go, rather than having to do each one individually.

If any one could help I would greately appreciate it.
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

FTP for multiple users

I know it costs money ($395 US), but there is an excellent product called WS-FTP from Ipswitch Inc.

Click here for details
N/A

FTP for multiple users

The idea is that he need to upload files by either giving a seperate username and password, or providing a CGI method of uploading.

FTP software is irrelivant.
Mark_Dowd
Grafter

FTP for multiple users

WS-FTP Server gives you full control over user rights, separate filestores, maximum file numbers and size per user, remote management etc. etc.

My company uses it to accept data warehouses from clients, so size *does* matter Cheesy
N/A

FTP for multiple users

This WS-FTP Server sounds the job - but does can it be used on PN sites? Or would I have to do my own hosting?

TIA and thanks for all other replies
N/A

FTP for multiple users

You would have to do your own hosting.
N/A

FTP for multiple users

thanks for the speedy reply Phillip
N/A

FTP for multiple users

I'm not sure that it's exactly what you're looking for, but I've been pointed towards "Invision Power File Manager" for other upload/download reasons.

You can find out more at http://www.invisionfilemanager.com