Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP access through firewall

willow147
Grafter

Hi All,

Having only recently got Broadband enabled and signing up for +Net I now wish to use ftp to use my free web space. 2 questions

1. What do I need to change (if anything) in my firewall (Sygate) on my PC to allow ftp access.

2. Is there any other way of putting files into my webspace other than ftp. I sometime would like to update my html from work but my ftp access is blocked by their firewall.

thx
5 REPLIES
N/A

1. Don't know

2. You can install Invision Power File Manger in your cgi webspace and use that to manage files without using a +Net connection. Take a look at http://www.invisionfilemanager.com/
N/A

1. All u should need to do is allow ur FTP client (FlashFXP, Cute, etc.) outgoing access if it prompts you that a program is trying to connect to the internet. Your not hosting ur own FTP which means there shouldn't be any incoming rules to configure.

2. Your stopped from using FTP for a good reason, security / time wasting. I'd recommend not doing to avoid getting into trouble and do it from home.
N/A

Set your FTP client to operate in PASV mode. That way, connections are initiated from inside your firewall.
N/A

For accessing it within work try www.web2ftp.com - the instructions are in German, but I think it's pretty obvious.This won't work for the CGI server though, only the HTML one.
Community Veteran

I'll second the idea of IFM myself. Smiley

Thomas