cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer install details

N/A

Engineer install details

I am still trying to get my head around some of the financial and running administation of certain setups of ADSL.

One of the major headaches I have had since I started working with ADSL is the engineer installed account.

After working with this company now for allmost 18 months, I have only just had light of the bill, which I muyst say, I was most unimpressed with. So much for BTO trying to become competative.

I have no knowledge of when the line was installed, other than it has now been here for 3 1/2 years.

The line in question is dedicated to ADSL, having been installed for the sole purpose. However, for some twisted and bizzar reason, it is not under our name, but the person who ordered the ADSL line (this person had no affiliation, other than typing the details into a webpage).

Having now seen the bill, I have noticed we are being billed directly by BT (not BTO) on there new style billing paper.

The items listed are the BTO product we have and as such, the payment goes direct to BT (who in turn must send it on).

Is this standard practice with Engineer installs? Or is this somthing to do with the old style BTO billing?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Engineer install details

Its an Openworld thing. I've got engineer installed ADSL Home (Ive had ADSL since before Self Install was around), this is billed for through PlusNet.

Im sure you should still be able to cancel if you clarify the details with Openwoe's 'customer support' department, they will then give more info about how to change the address details etc.

changing the address on the actual PSTN line will result in an imediate cease of ADSL but you will still be obliged to pay for it.

Chris
N/A

Engineer install details

I hope to remove the line in question alltogether at some stage this year, at which point, we would be terminating all relations with BTO (kind as I am).

Our problem at this time, is our comms cupboard (which is a makeshift cupboard, made from a few old doors by the looks of it), is located along with our network termination block and our small office exchange.

This provides 3 external lines and a ADSL line, with 4 internal extentions (soon to be 5) and 18 CAT5 nodes.

There is also a 5th comms line, for our fax machine, however, the NTE for this is halkway accross the office.

My plan is to have a extention fitted from it, into the comms cupboard.

At which point, I will run our new +Net connection off this, and remove the BTO connection.

However, I have now pull rods to do it myself, and to get sombody else into to install the two cables needed, will set us back £380, which I simply refuse to even reply to.

So at this time, it's on hold, and I won't be getting my extra referal for a while.
Community Veteran

Engineer install details

What do you mean by pull rods?

Installing the cable should be pretty easy for you with a minimum of tools and a bit of knowledge (which you certainly have a lot of with other issues in these forums).

Chris
N/A

Engineer install details

Not as easy as you think.

I know exactly what is needed, problem is, I don't have it.

In our office, we have two fire walls (not the network type). These are pre-drilled, so it isn't an issue, but the holes are in specific places.

All the cabling must be placed in the cavity beneath the floor., which is raised chipboard on adjustable metal stilts and mounts.

I know there must be access panels allready available, but where? Tongue

Once I find these, I will need the draw rods.

Draw rods come with many different names.

Draw rods, Draw tape, Duct rodding, Cable rod, Fish tape (very simalar, though not quite the same) and the old fasioned draw rope.
Community Veteran

Engineer install details

Right ok,

If it's for feeding cables through holes, I usually find a piece of copper like that in high apage power cables that you would use for a mains ring in your house / office will usually do the job.

Chris
Simon_M
Grafter

Engineer install details

changing the address on the actual PSTN line will result in an imediate cease of ADSL but you will still be obliged to pay for it.

I was lucky - within weeks of this line becoming ADSL enabled, I needed to change the trading name on the bill. I got the same standard response at first - need to start all over again, including pay off the full year on the old account.

Fortunately, the line was with corporate business accounts, rather than residential or even the SME business team. This means that the account is dealt with by real people who are allowed to exercise some discretion if you ask nicely & forcefully enough.

In the end, he just changed the name for me. The only downside is that he also (correctly) re-classified the line as SME business - it's now one of two in the new business as opposed to one of hundreds - so I don't suppose I will ever get a sensible answer ever again!
Community Veteran

Engineer install details

Philip.
Just a thought on the cable holes through your "Firewall" The fire regulations will be sure to stipulate that these are filled normally with "Virmiculite" (not sure of the spelling but the name sounds like that) to maintain the integrity of the wall and prevent smoke from passing from one room to the other.
You are going to have to remove some of this to get you new cable through and then fill it again afterwards to re seal it.
N/A

Engineer install details

Bah - I might go with a WLAN approach then.

The router can move down by the exisiting fax line, then I can bridge a connection to the comms cupboard.

Should save some time.

There is also talk (after a postal leaflet) of switching to VoIP. This sounds like a very interesting project.

Some of our kit would hook in without issue.

Shame is, important parts of our existing CAT5 would have to go down to 10mb. I have moved away to 100mb due to our borderless A1 (yes, that is 24 inch wide) printer.