cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails download

katsikali
Dabbler

Emails download

:? I can access www no problem with new ADSL Plus account, but I can't download or send email messages. I've sent myself a test from another account and I can see it sitting in my Inbox on the Plusnet web mail site, but I can't download it. Using iMac Mail and I'm pretty sure I have the Account settings correct. Message comes up "Server **myusername.relay.plus.net** rejected the password : please re-enter"
I just don't seem to be able to get past this yet the same password logs me on successfully to Plusnet's servers. TIC for help
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Emails download

Don't know iMac mail or how it is configured but can you post what you have configured for because myusername.relay.plus.net does not look correct:

Incoming POP3 server address: This should be mail.plus.net
Outgoing SMTP server address: This should be relay.plus.net

POP3 login name: This has the format username+mailbox name with username being katsikali and mailbox name being the name of the mail account you want to download.

Info on configuring email collection can be found here. See the section about configuring Outlook Express as iMac mail should have similar config options.

Cheers

Peter Cool
katsikali
Dabbler

Emails download

:roll: Thanks, I should have written everything down before posting:
Message actually reads: "SMTP server 'relay.plus.net' rejected password for user 'katsikali'. Please re-enter".
I have entries in mail account:
Email address: "xx@katsikali.plus.com"
Incoming Mail: mail.plus.net
Outgoing: relay.plus.net:katsikali

which is correct as I understand it. It's the password rejection which puzzles me.
Community Veteran

Emails download

Not sure if the Outgoing item is correct. Why do you have your name after the relay.plus.net? On all other email proga this should just be relay.plus.net

You must have a login & password field somewhere. The login will be katsikali+xx (for mailbox named xx) and the password as you have been told for email. Note: this is different to you email address field.

Also SMTP is used for sending email not receiving it and does not require login/password authentication.
N/A

Emails download

If you are sure you have the password correct and not using an "encryption" technique to send the password from your mail programme, you will have to raise a ticket.
katsikali
Dabbler

Emails download

Shocked Thanks for additional replies. I thought the '+xx' entry for email address field was only required if I added extra mailboxes rather than using the default one. The username after the 'relay.plus.net' was inserted by my imac - I didn't enter it!
I'll have another go adding the '+xx' to my username.
Certainly some good help here, thanx
N/A

Emails download

The -xxx is only for added extra mailboxes apart from the default everything.

Can you try a different email prog, must be others available for the mac.
N/A

Emails download

The error message you show relates to sending e-mail.

Your client is attempting to use STMP in an authenticated mode. You can't currently do this with PlusNet.

Only when receiving should a usernma ena dpassowrd be needed.

Make sure you are not filling to many settings in your client.