cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emailing AOL addresses

zpeterk
Grafter

Emailing AOL addresses

I replied to an email from an AOL address and they didn,t recieve it nor did it bounce back. How do you over come this situation?
4 REPLIES
N/A

Emailing AOL addresses

AOL have a rather annoying policy, that means that many users never know that their email goes missing.

When AOL designed to mark a user, domain, IP or ISP as spammers (you never know which you have been classed under), they will send only a limited number of bounces.

A a result, a single spammer can cause all the bounces to be used up in a single session. After this time, all email can go into thin air.

You, other customers and PlusNet are never aware of this, until a AOL customers complains that he hasn't received a reply (as you have here).

One of the biggest issues with AOL, is the fact they are very hard to contact over issues of spam like this.

Other causes of blockages is when AOL members bsubmit enough spam reports to warrent a ban. The only issue is, AOL users like to mark items as spam, when they have been legaly signed up to a mailing list.

They would rather have it blocked, than unsubscribe with the provided instructions.

This further results in companies operating in perfectly legal email campaigns to be blocked with no reason.

One thing you can do is if possible, send a message to another AOL user. If this works, it is due to the spam settings the person you are sending to.

There is little PlusNet can do, and nothing yourself can do. As noted, AOL are hard to deal with on issues of spam, especialy when they ahve a hardline policy that is borderline operational.
N/A

Emailing AOL addresses

As you are evidently in contact with the intended recipient, I'd tell them to get another e-mail address - even an advert-laden webmail thing like Yahoo is better that AOL if you actually want to get your mail.
zpeterk
Grafter

Emailing AOL addresses

I think its a bit much to ask a customer to change their email addy. I have found today if I send from gmail they recieve the mail.
N/A

Emailing AOL addresses

My apologies. I didn't realise this was a business matter rather than something between friends - forget that idea!