cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from Phone

N/A

Email from Phone

Is It just me? I have a new phone (Nokia 7610) which can receive plus net e-mails with no problems but every time I try to send I get an error saying that the sending failed. I have checked the outgoing server settings and all seems fine. I had exactly the same problem with my previous phone (Sony Ericsson T68i) which suggests either I've got something wrong or I just can't do what I want.

The nokia has two settings that I'm not sure I should try, one called security (currently off) and one called APOP secure login (whatever that is), which is also off. As these weren't on the sony phone I'm not convinced that these are the issue. Anyone else have this problem or anyone have any clues?

thanks
5 REPLIES
N/A

Email from Phone

A few questions to get to the bottom of this.

1: Are you using a GPRS/Wap connection, or dialup profile to the PlusNet PAYG number?

2: Which outgoing server do you have set in the profile.

If using GPRS/Wap and the PlusNet server, this is the cause. you must be connected to PlusNet to use the PlusNet mail server.

Otherwise, what operator are you on. many have there own server you can use.
N/A

Email from Phone

Hi,

I'm using GPRS on 02 (with my Sony I used Orange). Outgoing server I have is the same as the one I use from my PC (relay.plus.net). The reason I was confused was that the POP3 worked fine just not the SMTP

Are you suggesting I should use a different SMTP server? Not sure I can have different login though may be able to set my own SMTP server up using my fixed IP

thanks

steve
N/A

Email from Phone

PlusNet only allow the use of relay.plus.net, when you are connected to the PlusNet network (using ADSL, or there dialup). This is a spam prevention method.

GPRS uses the O2 network to make the internet connection, thus is not authorised.

Many mobile operators provide there own SMTP gateway, for the very reason that many have anti-spam policies preventing you from using them, outside of there network. O2 provide one on the following address.

smtp.o2.co.uk
N/A

Email from Phone

(apologies for the long delayed the response) That appears to have fixed the issue. Many thanks

steve
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Email from Phone

The new webmail developers "Atmail" or "@mail" in fact publich details of the WAP access address which seems to bypass Plusnet. I use it from my desktop regularly to access webmail to scan for spam before downloading, because it is much, much faster than the real webmail, but has very little functionality. But for my purposes, it is excellent. The address for this using a WAP phone or a pc is http://webmail.plus.net/xhtml.pl. Plusnet do not support this feature but it works. You just enter your user id and password and ignore the domain.

Hope that may help.