cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email and IP privacy

N/A

Email and IP privacy

Despite running my firewall (ZA freee version) on full and getting full marks for "stealth" on the Shields Up test site, it appears that anyone can see my email address (ie krobcfc.plus.com) and also my IP, which of course, gives them the email domain. The fact that PN use a system of the domain after the "@" dictates that you can put anything you like before the "@" and it will reach the user, so effectively, as a result of my IP being able to be seen anywhere I go, my email address is open for all to see too.

This "vulnerability" was also highlighted on the Shields Up test site, but did not offer a solution.

What makes it worse is that on one messageboard I frequent, some guy has a little program in his signature that pops up the IP and email address of anyone viewing a thread he has posted in, which showed mine in bold clear detail. It also confirmed I was using WinXP and IE6, which really does scare the proverbial out of me. The idea is he is saying "how secure are you in reality??".

I find this all rather disconcerting, as despite having a firewall and AV checker in place, I really would rather be as anonymous as is humanly possible and especially not have my email address open to anyone and everyone.

Thoughts/advice/solutions?

Cheers.
10 REPLIES
N/A

Email and IP privacy

You can request a change of rDNS - which means your IP will not resolve to username.plus.com. Instead, you can choose to have it resolve to your_static_ip.plus.com (ie 212_159_0_2.plus.com), or to a domain which is currently hosted on your account.

You can request this change on the link:contact us page by opening a new ticket and choosing Technical Support > Static IP / Reverse DNS Setup > Change my Reverse DNS (PTR) configuration.
N/A

Email and IP privacy

Thanks for the prompt and detailed response. I think I'll go do this now.

Cheers. Smiley
Geoff
Grafter

Email and IP privacy

See my post in another topic
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=57182#57182

The tool I used also reveals people's username. I only found one that had been changed to only show the IP address.

Geoff
Community Veteran

Email and IP privacy

Are you sure that he can actually see your information? There are many tools on many websites which will show you certain system information but not make it available to anyone else including the author.

You can never hide your IP address fully, many websites log IP addresses as a matter of course.

Chris
N/A

Email and IP privacy

Are you sure that he can actually see your information? There are many tools on many websites which will show you certain system information but not make it available to anyone else including the author.

I just checked and the url of his little "tool" that appears in his messageboard sig can be found here:

http://www.danasoft.com/

It showed my correct IP and also correctly confirmed I was using IE6 and WinXP. I'm not technical enough to know how it does it, or whether the user can gain anything from the information harvested from the tool. I think, however, it is a little like smoke and mirrors, just a ping and forced "who is" back to the danasoft server. I still feel ill at ease with it all though, it's an invasion of privacy either way, is it not?

Out of interest, PN changed my rDNS overnight (thanks PN) and it now shows as IP.plus.com as opposed to username.plus.com. At least my actual email address is now not publically available to anyone who wishes to ping my IP.

If only I could be completely invisible though! Wink
N/A

Email and IP privacy

You can use "domain.com" as your rDNS instead, as long as that domain is hosted on your PlusNet account.
N/A

Email and IP privacy

Hi,

Out of interest, could +Net configure the rDNS to the subdomain of a hosted domain?

I.e. people doing a reverse lookup on my IP would see foobar.domain.com rather than just domain.com?

Regards,
D'Essen
N/A

Email and IP privacy

krobcfc, this information has allways been available to websites, regardless of the software in operation.

Your browser sends its make, model and patch release each time it requests a page. This is part of the http protocol. It isn't a case of, the website requests X, so your computers sends it, this is not true.

Other than your browser details, cookies, your IP and the page that refered you, nothing more is sent unless you install software, or give your permission for your browser to do so.

You may like to read many of the privacy sites available on the internet. Most of them glorfy what information is available to the webmaster.

By default there is little to be of concern about, in terms of privacy. You have more to dear from banner adverts than these images.

Can I ask what sort of concerns this gives over privacy?
N/A

Email and IP privacy

I appreciate the comprehensive explanation, thanks.

In answer to your question at the end there, my answer is "technical ignorance", in that I confess to being far less knowledgable of these matters than such people as your good self. That is why I asked the question in my original post, that is why people like me come on here, occasionally all panic-stricken, hoping someone far more knowledgable can put their minds at rest. You have just done that for me, so thanks for that.

You should have seen me the first time I installed ZA, the log was some 1000 "attacks" long after only a couple of days and I was convinced I was in serious danger of being hacked into submission. I'm sure many of us might admit, albeit privately, to being there once too. Wink
N/A

Email and IP privacy

Out of interest, could +Net configure the rDNS to the subdomain of a hosted domain?

I.e. people doing a reverse lookup on my IP would see foobar.domain.com rather than just domain.com?

Yes, mine does. It seems this is required if you want for example the portal webstats to show your domain for your own visits.

On my ticket it was explained like this:
As your IP resolves to mydomain.co.uk but mydomain.co.uk resolves to 212.159.8.1 (your website) this IP is not classed as having full rDNS as it does not have a matching forward record.

I would advise that we change the record for your rDNS to something like gw.mydomain.co.uk which will then allow you to add a record for gw.mydomain.co.uk to point to your IP via the portal Domain tools.

Works fine.