cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email addresses

N/A

Email addresses

I am in the process of setting up my Plusnet ADSL account and I have serious problems understanding the use of Plusnet email addresses.

Problem (i)

I understand that I can use any email address of the form alias@username.plus.com.

I can, if I wish, use different aliases with different companies etc. Noting the email address used to contact me I could then get some idea where emails originated.

Surely this mean that anyone can contact me by making up their own alias for me.

or

Do I have to inform Plusnet of the aliases I am using?

or

what?

Problem (ii)

When I setup Outlook Express and Eudora to read my Plusnet emails what emails address do I use? Do I have to setup an address for each alias or can I get the whole lot read using just one "generic" address?

Problem (iii)

Can someone tell me where I can find info about setting up Outlook Express, Eudora etc?

many thanks.
13 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Email addresses

You don't need to tell PlusNet.

Made up aliases will be delivered to you.

By default anything sent to <whatever>@username.plus.com is delivered when you pick up mail as "username". If you add a mailbox, that changes.

http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=145 Has info on Outlook Express.
Community Veteran

Email addresses

If you have a named mailbox setup e.g. fred@username.plus.com, any email sent to fred@.... will go to that mailbox. If email is sent to <anythingelse>@username.plus.com that is delivered into you default mailbox (normally postmaster) and will be deleived to your email client (or viewed in webmail) when you view your default mailbox.

Note: you have to specifically request mail for fred@username.plus.com or any predefined mailbox name and the following link explains how to do this: http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?vfzo51T9UtU%3D
N/A

Email addresses

Many thanks to you both.

If I keep the default mailbox and do not set up nay others then all my mail will go there.

When i set up my email software, such as outlook Express, what do I type in as my email address?

Is it postmaster@username.plus.com?
Community Veteran

Email addresses

You can put whatever you like in there.
Normally you would enter the address where you want people to reply to eg john@username.plus.com if you had a mail box called john and you were accessing it by logging on as username+john
csogilvie
Grafter

Email addresses

you can use colin@ without having a box called colin - I do that.
N/A

Email addresses

I am sorry to keep on with the same theme - I am obviously suffering from a communications weakness (perhaps I should become an MP!)

Lets say I receive mail from a wide variety of sources with many different aliases. So I have email addressed to alias1@username.plus.com, alias2@username.plus.com, alias3@username.plus.com, etc.

Now how do I collect my email relating to all these different aliases using Eudora?

Presumably I do not have to ask for the email from each of these separate aliases, one at a time. This would be very difficult as other people may have invented an alias I know nothing about.
Community Veteran

Email addresses

If you have not specified any named mailboxes just by going to your default mailbox then any-name-at-all@username.plus.net will be collected.
So it doesnt matter what people put to the left of the @ sign as long as the bit to the right of it is yourusername.plus.com.

You would set up your email client say outlook express so that the account name you call is chapple and your nomal password.

Hope that helps to clarify it for you.
Community Veteran

Email addresses

Any account setup in outlook express which uses your username and password will pick up any mail in your default mailbox which all the alias emails will go into. This will not collect mail for any named mailboxes you have setup on PlusNet. To get those you use username+mailboxname as the username and your normal password. This is explain in the link I gave in my earlier post.

so using username, password will get mail in your default mailbox

If you define a mailbox called fred you access it's mail only by:

username+fred, password

for mailbox bert you use username+bert, password

etc.
N/A

Email addresses

If you do set up different mailboxes - alias2+username and so on, you will have to set up different persona and accounts in Eudora to access these. Each presona has to be switched to before you can collect the mail.
If you create 5 mailboxes, you will have to switch persona 5 times and hit "check mail" five times.
This is also the same with Outlook, except the different mailboxes users are "Indentities".
There is no way of collecting mail from all mailboxes in one go.
pcorker
Grafter

Email addresses

So if you did want 5 "mailboxes" then set up 5 Redirects instead and have them pointing to one mailbox so you can check them all in one go. The redirects are Forwarding Addresses, not Poste Restante.
Pat
N/A

Email addresses

Many thanks for the very detailed replies.

I think I now have the hang of it.

I will play around with the email by sending a mail via a few aliases and see if they arrive.
N/A

Email addresses

I now have my emails accounts "sorted out" and up and running but I have two more questions.

I will normally collect my email using Outlook Express or Eudora.

(i) Assume that someone sends me an email using an "new" alias, one for which I have not set up an account in my Outlook Express or Eudora. I imagine that it will sit in my postbox unannounced until it is deleted after a certain number of days.

is this correct?

(ii) When Plusnet send me emails what email address do they use?

username@username.plus.com,
postmaster@username.plus.com

or what?
Community Veteran

Email addresses

(i) Emails are never deleted automatically. You have to empty your default mailbox on a regular basis or it will just fill up. I think this may be part of the terms and conditions. Or at least you must monitor your postmaster mailbox (which is effectively your default one).

(ii) postmaster@username.plus.com

If you have not setup a specific postmaster mailbox it goes to your default one which you must read on a regular basis.