cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Saved On Server

N/A

Email Saved On Server

When setting up the properties for an email accouont in Outlook Express I notice that on the Advanced tab there is a check box that enables you to keep copies if incoming mail on the server. Can anyone explain exacatly what this means. Can I re-download them at any time?
THanks

Sarah Smiley
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Email Saved On Server

Normally when you download email to your client (say Outlook express) it is stored on your hard disk and deleted from the email server. Ticking that box means the email is no longer deleted from the server so it is now stored in 2 places: your PC and the server.

It is not recommended to use that facility unless you intend to read email on several PCs and you want each PC to have full access to all the email. Whether you can get access to all the email depends on the email client you are using. Also deleting email in your client may cause the email to be deleted from the server as well, although I am not 100% sure about that.

For normal home use leave it unticked.
N/A

Email Saved On Server

Cheesy Thank you for that, I do use a number of different PC's so that will be very handy to know. CHeers

Sarah
Community Veteran

Email Saved On Server

I must advise you that viewing/storing email in multiple locations can be very difficult to manage and also difficult to recover should things go wrong. It also requires each of the client programs to be configured exactly the same. If you send email from multiple locations, copies of the sent email will only be available from the sending PC.

I would designate one PC as your primary email system and only download mail to that system leaving the keep a copy on server option unticked. Then use webmail to view any messages on other PCs.

The keep a copy on server option is mainly for use by people who acces their email via a dialup connection when 'on the road' and want all email to also be available on their work/home PC. So on the dialup account, the option is ticked, and on the work/home PC account it is unticked.

At some point you must clear out message on the server.
michaelscott
Grafter

Email Saved On Server

Doesn't PlusNet provide IMAP? With that all sent messages are stored on the server and all clients synchronise with it - ie if you make an 'Archive' folder on one machine and move a load of messages to it, the changes will appear on other machines when u check your mail.
N/A

Email Saved On Server

Correct, and depending upon mail client, you can have even more control such as keeping the mail on the server, despite it being deleted locally. (this will allow multiple machines to access the mail and delete it as each feels fit without others lossing access to it).
However, there will be a size limit at PlusNet which will determine the time period over which mail is stored.