cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Privacy Dilemma

N/A

Email Privacy Dilemma

Thought i'd start a thread and try and see other users views on the possibility of ISP's actually taking some action on what is passed through their routing system.

I for one would welcome my ISP filtering mail and ensuring a percentage (hopefully a large one) of suspicious and virii infected attachments are not allowed into my mail account.

Sure this is prob a sore point for the privacy loyalists but we need to start somewhere.

My firewall (SmoothWall GPL 2.0) is currently blocking 150 +
"ICMP PING CyberKit 2.2 Windows" attempts per hour.

These are all coming from +Net accounts, so what do we doHuh?

Do we give +Net a list of all the IP Addys that are pinging us in the hope that they do something about itHuh?

Can these addys be blocked from accesing the net (like NTL currently do) until they are virus free?

Thoughts Please

:twisted: chamisra :twisted: (a worried traveller)
5 REPLIES
N/A

Email Privacy Dilemma

For emails, plusnet run optional anti virus and spam blocking services on their mail servers (at a small extra charge for each). If customers want these feature, they are free to use them.
N/A

Email Privacy Dilemma

I think it's reasonable for an ISP to offer protection from these kind of things as an option, maybe even the default option, but personally I don't want anyone meddling with what I can and cannot recieve. What if I miss an important email because the virus scanner incorrectly thought it was infected? Who is liable? I much prefer the idea that an ISP is a "common carrier" and not responsible for any traffic over its network.

Since my router drops almost all incoming traffic anyway, there's little that Plus.Net could actually do to help.

--> Stephen
N/A

Email Privacy Dilemma

That's what I think - if they had anti virus and spam blocking enabled on all accounts, I might miss some important emails. I prefer to carry out those services at my end (my anti spam shows me what it marked as spam, so I never miss an email).
N/A

Email Privacy Dilemma

The anti-spam service from +Net doesn't delete any e-mail. It simply sets a header in the e-mail so it can be easily identified by filters.

It is upto you what you do with the e-mail then.

I can't vouch for the virus scanner, though many simply strip any offending attachment.

Th difference between spam and viruses is that spam is more dynamic, and can't be scanned as easy (though it isn't much harder). Spam will usualy not affect you, where viruses will.
N/A

Email Privacy Dilemma

I believe that PlusNet (and all responsible ISPs) should offer Spam filtering as standard. Until they do, I am using SpamCop's filtered email service, which costs $30 per year - see http://mail.spamcop.net/individuals.php if you are interested.

Tim