cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Echoing on landlines and mobiles

zipadeedoodaa
Dabbler

I am having problems with echoing on the above calls. Not all of them but enough to make me bring up the matter here.
I use a cordless telephone with Phoneconnector and the recipient of the call reports echoing, though it sounds OK at my end.
Now, this was the problem with Skype Out and they didn't seem to be able to correct it. I had hoped that with the different set up with Plus Talk, this problem would not occur.
If one is having to think about the possibility of a bad connection, it discourages you from using the network.
Is anyone else having this problem and can it be solved?

Neville
16 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

This isn't something I've come accross myself, but it might be worth trying the connection with a regular phone rather than a cordless one, as it could be this. Similarly, if at all possible, I'd suggest trying it with a microphone and speakers, to ensure that it isn't your Phoneconnector causing the echoing.
Community Veteran

Are your sound drivers up to date?
I had echo to recipients when using skype and Team speak on my old PC a while ago. My memory<-(I don't mean RAM I mean my memory Tongue ) is not to good, but I think It turned out to be a driver issue in my case!
N/A

Hi Neville,

I'm getting the same problem too - people I call from PlusTalk to their landlines/mobiles (i.e. not computer to computer) say they can hear their own voice echoing back to them.

I'm using a headset (earpiece and mic). The important thing is never to use speakers and a mic - this can cause serious echo as the sounds which comes out of the speakers (their voice) then get's picked up by the mic and sent back to them. So the echoing can't be caused by your handset or the earpiece/mic I use.

Currently the experience for the person receiving the call is so poor it's not worth using PlusTalk. Am glad it's only a monthly contract.
Would be great if the PlusTalk support team could sort this.
zipadeedoodaa
Dabbler

Just to reiterate,I am using a cordless phone which is actually some distance from the speakers and of course the PC. So it's not just a Speakers/mic situation.

I do wish we could get some support in on this.

Neville
N/A

What is the connection between your cordless phone and the internet?
If you are running through a USB connection have a look at how much memory is free on your system. Older USB ports, despite what was claimed, are not actually very good at transmitting data.

Is the cordless a standard Dect phone?
Try replacing it with a normal BT phone.

If using an ATA, make sure echo suppresion is on. Also turn off 'Silence Suppression'.
zipadeedoodaa
Dabbler

My phone is connected through a USB 2 port and my PC has 512Mb ram. When I use the phone, no other processes, other than background, are running. So there's bags of slack. I think this is a problem where the final step over landline etc takes place.

No-one seems to be prepared to say that this is so.

So long as this is happening it is unusable except PC to PC
I have a dect phone. I'm not going to change it until someone give me definite information on this problem.
Neville
Community Veteran

I have a dect phone. I'm not going to change it until someone give me definite information on this problem.
Neville

Oh! :? So you are not prepared to try it unless someone says it is definately the dect phone at fault? :? Can't be that hard to borrow a friend/family/neighbours standard phone to try!
Hey it might not resolve the problem.............but then again it might!! I don't see what you have to lose.
Others are using this service without this problem, so if it were me, I would definatley be looking at my setup before assuming the fault lay elsewhere!

Good luck. Smiley
zipadeedoodaa
Dabbler

Didn't choose my words very well. I meant I wouldn't want to "buy" another phone.

Neville
N/A

New subscriber and I have the same problem

Would be good to see this issue being treated a bit more seriously by Plus net and a decent FAQ posted. IF its not clear what the issue is soon i'll give up and go back to using Skpe.

Rgs
Graham
Community Veteran

Didn't choose my words very well. I meant I wouldn't want to "buy" another phone.

Neville

Ok.
But does that mean you are going to borrow one to try? :?

Oh never mind, I can see I am not really helping here, I'm probably just getting under your skin, so I'll just wish you good luck finding a solution!
zipadeedoodaa
Dabbler

Been away for a few days and now wish to pick up on this subject again.
I am very grateful for help that people are offerring , it is much appreciated.

To reiterate, I have a dect cordless phone connected via Phoneconnector to USB 2. My PC is 3Ghz Intel with 512Mb ram.I wish to use a cordless phone because I don't want to be tied to the PC when making calls.
It has been suggested that I try a BT normal phone and I understand the reasons for that.

My question is: are there BT cordless phones out there which differ from the one I have. I suppose I need to know that before purchasing. It is ,of course, an easy matter to connect an ordinary corded phone to my PC but I wish to use a cordless phone away from the PC which is in a room away from our normal living area.

I'm grateful for any advice.
Many thanks,

Neville
N/A

Echoing mostly sovled by 2 things for me:

1 - Switch the G711a on (black) and turn the G711u and GSM off (Grey is off). Do this before you make a call.

2 - Adjust the red and green microphone and earphone sliders. Putting them up makes the call louder but does increase the likelyhood of an echo. Put them as loud as is comfortable with some echo, then reduce the volume until the echo goes.

And your other question about using a wireless handset, I don't have an answer for but if it were me then I would be search engining a "review on cordless phones for VOIP".

If you can't find a specific review then it's worth looking on amazon, ebuyer, savastore and other e-shops where customers write their own reviews of products. If you see a product getting 5*'s from most of the customers then maybe this is one you could try out.
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've just installed PlusTalk and I'm interested in the tips offered by treilly.

What do the settings G711u, G711a and GSM mean?

Also what's iLBC and Speex?

Regards and thanks..........
nickthesurfer
Grafter

80% effective

Followed those tips & it seems to have helped but even though the echo has been reduced, it's still there.

Anyone got any more helpful tips?

- Nick