E-mail Bounce

Hi All

I am getting an e-mail bounced back with the following error message
-------------------------
SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host mail-in.freeserve.com [193.252.22.142]: 550 Error:
Message content rejected
-----------------------

Can anyone tell me what this means...... is it a my end problem,Plusnet problem or a Freeserve problem;I am curious about the "Message content rejected" bit as it is just a family chit chat type e-mail.

Thanks for any thoughts

Ian & Linda Jordan
14 REPLIES
N/A

E-mail Bounce

That error sugest that you have your outbound mail server set to one ISP, and attempting to connect to it from another ISP.
Community Veteran

E-mail Bounce

If you are sending email when connected to PlusNet you must set your SMTP server on all your email accounts to relay.plus.net. It looks like you are still using the freeserve SMTP server which will only work if you are connected to the freeserve network (which I presume you switch to PlusNet from).
N/A

E-mail Bounce

Sorry Accar and Peter you have completly lost me here.My outbound mail is sent via relay.plus.net,and I am connected to Plusnet vai ADSL personally have never had a Freeserve account,and this is something that has started happening over the last 24 hours,all other mail is being sent as usual with no problems,and normally so would e-mails sent to this Freeserve address.
Community Veteran

E-mail Bounce

Ok, was there anything special about the email that got rejected? Attachements, subject line, main text body etc.

Maybe the freeserver mail servers rejected your email due to what was in it.

Have you been able to send a simple test message to the same email address?

Have you tried sending the original email again to see if the same thing happens? If it had an attachment try sending it without.
N/A

E-mail Bounce

IIRC, Freeserve have been having issues with there e-mail servers in receintly. There is little you can do but hope they get there act together.

If your e-mail is of importance, I sugest keeping the bounce message, as it will become very very usful in backing up a claim of sending e-mail.
N/A

E-mail Bounce

The demand to "do something about it" by hysterical customers who are incapable of (or unwilling to) implement their own anti-spam measures and think that their nanny ISP should do it all for them seems to have led to an increasing number of dim-witted paranoid ISPs using over-sensitive spam filters and not bothering to ask their customers whether or not they would like them implemented on their account.

I just had one back from a friend in Hong Kong - not for the first time, and I always CC her Hotmail address as a precaution, and it seems that good old hknet, in their wisdom, have now blocked ptb-relay02.plus.net[212.159.14.213]

I clicked the link in the usual "Client host rejected: Blocked! No more relay of junk mail!" message to request unblocking, but as it's PlusNet's IP, not mine, that is being blocked, they will probably decide that as the IP that the request came from doesn't match, they will ignore it.

This sort of thing is becoming so commonplace, that I have reverted to snail mail for anything that is actually important. The lady in question has not signed up for any special mail filtering, you don't get a choice, and this whole business of ISPs implementing spam filters whether you like it or not is a real pain.
N/A

E-mail Bounce

A bit of malware or spyware maybe Huh
Run Adaware or Spybot.
N/A

E-mail Bounce

IIRC, Freeserve have been having issues with there e-mail servers in receintly. There is little you can do but hope they get there act together.

I think I will chalk it up to that being the reason,as a re-send has'nt returned in 24hrs (fingers crossed)

Thanks All
N/A

E-mail Bounce

A bit of malware or spyware maybe Huh
Run Adaware or Spybot.

Spyware on a "Mac"........ whats that? :-)

But it did sent me on a wild scurry around google to see for myself,and I can still say.............. SpywareHuhHuh? :-)

Ian & Linda Jordan (who uses "Spybot")
N/A

E-mail Bounce

Hi All

I thought I would post a follow-up on this just in case anyone else should have similar problems.I have eventually solved the mystery,and I promise I won't badmouth Plusnet again next time when they decide to ban e-mails without a message ID :-)

Apparently it would seem that Freeserve/Wanadoo have brought in a rather crude form of anti-spam/virus protection,this is what I found through a hunt through "Google Groups"

"The first Wanadoo server in their somewhat lengthy chain of
incoming mail servers does indeed use a ridiculously crude set of
filters to bounce anything with one of the subject lines used by
the Novarg/Mydoom worm - including "Hi" and "Hello" - and, please
note, "Test."

Athough I did not think about at the time,but a search through my sent e-mails did indeed reveal that the common factor with the e-mails that were bounced( the actual e-mails sent were deleted at that end) all had "Hi" or "Hello" as the subject line due to the fact that I had just used the "reply to" button,while in retrospect their idea makes sense,the "message content rejected" error message that I recieved back was little vague and would seem that the actual content off the e-mail is not scanned,it just gets deleted on the strength of the subject line.

Would I be correct in assuming that this situation would not have occured under Plusnet's recent "MyDoom" precaution?

Just thought I'd let everyone know....... you never know it may come in handy for someone.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

E-mail Bounce

"a ridiculously crude set of filters"
Precisely. This is the problem - some ISPs have gone overboard, don't have a clue what they are really doing, and whack in shoddy systems without the customer having any choice in the matter. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of anti-spam and, more importantly, anti-virus, services being available from the ISP, but it should be up to the customer to decide whether what the ISP offers is suitable for them. Probably best as an opt-out rather than opt-in so that those who don't read anything and don't protect their PCs either will not be a pain in the neck - if people like that lose a bit of mail, I don't have much sympathy for them.

I have a large number of lazy friends who hardly ever put anything more than "Hi!" in the subject line, and as all their e-mails to my Plus-Net account arrived safely during the recent MyDoom epidemic, I think we can assume that the answer to
"Would I be correct in assuming that this situation would not have occured under Plusnet's recent "MyDoom" precaution? "
is
"It wouldn't - PlusNet are a little bit brighter than that!"
N/A

E-mail Bounce

I have no problem,with ISP's taking precautions,but I cannot help wondering how many of these problems would excist if these "instant ISP's" the ones where you just put a cd-rom into the drive and everything is set up for you,and the computer manufactures that pre-install IE & OE installed them at the most secure by default (well as secure as they can be) because when I bought my wife her laptop it took all of about 5 mins to turn off the preview pane,and make sure that "do not open or allow to be saved any attachments that may contain a virus" was selected;which instantly makes OE a little more secure.So is there a reason that they cannot be preset by default.Then at least people may have the chance to learn something when then phone customer suport to ask "Mother has sent me a photo of the cat and I can't open it why?" which would surely more preferable than "Help I've been infected by a virus what do i do?" which is usually after it has spread itself to everyone in the address book thus causing panic measures to be taken by ISP's (no offense Plusnet) like I have just experienced with Freeserve.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

E-mail Bounce

No *logical* reason why they shouldn't do that at all, and I agree that it would be a good start, but I doubt if it will happen.

I admit I am a total cynic, but as I see it ....
People on the PCWorld scale just want to shift lots of boxes, and don't want customers who know nothing about computers, and think that all you have to do is switch it on and click, coming back saying "this doesn't work" or "that doesn't work". Therefore, the whole thing is set up for ease of use by the technologically challenged, not for security.

If they come back and say "I've got a virus", that's fine - they can charge a silly amount to get rid of it, as the customer will not know that removal tools are available online for nothing, being a novice wouldn't understand the instructions anyway, and at the same time they can sell them the most expensive OTT security package available. I am by no means an expert, often have to read things twice to get the hang of them myself, but I recently managed to get rid of a virus on a friend's PC by talking her through everything on the phone. Her dealer had told her it would cost £80 - luckily she had the sense to give me a ring and ask if I thought this was a bit much!

Anyone who takes enough interest in things to visit forums such as this is likely to be either already aware of what the score is, or at least is interested enough to find out. There is a whole world of "don't know and don't want to know" people out there though, who think that things like security, and anything else that involves more than clicking to get to where you want to go, are just too boring for words.

I hold my hand up to being one of the completely ignorant when I first started. I didn't even know what was meant by "desktop" - when somebody said "have a look on your desktop and see if there's an icon labelled .....", my reply was "Huh? The only thing on my desktop is the monitor." With no computer background, I really did not have a clue about anything. Luckily I am the inquisitive sort who likes to at least try and understand whatever equipment I am using for anything, so this situation did not last long - but it must have been about three months before I'd found online forums where people knew things, didn't mind you asking dumb questions, would answer a newbie in plain English, and explained why an anti-virus programme was an essential and a firewall not exactly a waste of space either, etc. etc.

For every one of us who either knows to start with or, like me, is at least willing to take the time to find out, there are probably a dozen who are just not interested, and they are the ones that people who sell PCs cater for - if it isn't theoretically dead simple, the customer won't buy it.
N/A

E-mail Bounce

I don't think you are being too cynical,in fact you gave a rather accurate discription of how things are.Like you I am inquisitive and like to know why things are happening,and as you say this is where forums such as these are useful.Admitted you may not always get the answer,but you usually get some clue as to where to look next.I started asking questions in the newsgroups......... HA! that was a waste of time;you ask what to you is a sensible question get replies back but do they answer the question no of course not you get numerous comments regard a single grammatical error that then descends into a flame war as they fight over that,and you are still waiting to get your problem addressed.Mind you I have seen these forums have some interesting battles but on the whole there are some knowledgeable people here,so I imagine it may be difficult for someone who has just unpacked the computer from the box;online ten minutes later gets a problem and wonders what to do when things go wrong.

I must admit to having a somewhat perverse laugh at the panic that ensues when the media flashes out "Virus brings world to standstill";which is usually a fortnight after the virus has done it's damage....... I know at that point I am going to be questioned by my workmate as to what precautions he should be taking.Not are his precautions going to keep him safe,but as usual in these situations,in the best bolted horse locked stable scenario what should he do which by then is too late.

I missed out on all the "MyDoom" e-mails did'nt get one,and in 8 years of windows machines I have been infected once,and that was my own fault for booting my computer in the morning with a floppy disc in the drive.So a few simple precautions and the internet is a relatively safe place because up until that point I had no antl-virus installed and only downloaded a free programme "F-Prot" to clean the virus out.

But if my workmate is anything to go by it is a sad situation he was acually frightened to go online because the media had led him to believe that the instant he plugged his modem into the phone socket he was going to be up to his neck in virus,and hackers woulkd be queing up to invade his machine.But I introduced him to a freebie firewall.a freebie anti-virus showed him what to do with OE as regards attachments and preview,and now he is asking why he did'nt go online earlier.It's a pity the "box shifters" cannot take that line,but as you say they would not make so much money in in after sales services like virus removal etc.

Ian & Linda Jordan