cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Mail address+Newsgroups

N/A

Hi All

Is there a correct or accepted way to "munge" an e-mail address when sending to usenet newsgroups?

Up until now I have been using ian@********.TheFireplus.com with instructions in my sig to "please put out "TheFire" to reply via e-mail"

Some has just this evening pointed out, and after thinking about it they may be correct in that I don't own "TheFireplus" domain and therefore should'nt be using it.Or are they just being pedantic,as this is the first time anyone has mentioned it,so must confess to never having thought about it till now.

So if I am in error,what is the correct way to do it?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Ian & Linda Jordan
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Use something like name@username.dotplus.dotcom which is completely invalid and just say to remove the dots.
N/A

Use something like name@username.dotplus.dotcom which is completely invalid and just say to remove the dots.

Hi Peter

Please forgive my ignorance on this subject,I see your point; but may I assume from the fact that you suggest "dotplus" that the method I use is acceptable, or would the question of "do I own dotplus?" arise or is it the fact that "dotcom" follows it: thus removing any doubt that it is a genuine domain.

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

There is no set way to munge a e-mail address, however, there is a standard practice, to make all possible attempts, to prevent the munged version from being legitimate.

So user@username.TheDogplus.com is not ideal. It could well be a real address with or without the munging removed. Peters sugestion is more sound. user@username.dotplus.dotcom is not valid, unless it is unmunged.

user@username.plus.com.example.com is also a possible good one. In reality, that is also perfectly valid when used munged. However, example.com/org/net is resvered for... your guesed it, example purposes.
N/A

Thanks Peter and Philip

All sorted (I think :-) )

Ian & Linda Jordan