Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dreamweaver & uploading to server

Novagal
Grafter

Hi,

Have hit a little (frustrating) stumbling block and would appreciate any comments to get me through.

Using dreamweaver and have two personal websites in the making. Naturally have created both websites in a different root folder. Both domains have been transferred in with Plusnet (Dsn changed). Initially using FTP to upload. Problem I am having is whilst I can get one site up and running, the moment I upload the second website it gets mixed in with the first upload. Then both www. addresses reflect the same website on the browser!!

I have gone into Domains and added a sub folder to the htdocs/ directory to both web sites to differentiate between the two without success. The same situation still occurs. Im sure I am missing a trick here!! :? Can I indulge in someone's knowledge for advice?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

K
6 REPLIES
N/A

If you have 2 domains and a plus net web space. Then on the ftp you have htdocs, create a directory called domainone(or whatever) and one called domaintwo both off the htdocs dir. You now effetively have 3 domains, two named domains and www.username.plus.com.

Go onto the portal and point domainone to the dir for domainone and domaintwo to domaintwo dir.

Make sure you have seperate sites setup in dreamweaver( I use the loca HD and then copy them up later). Make sure each domain has index.htm in the route and it all should work.

You can also create a directory within domainone or domaintwo and put a index.htm in there to give you www.domainone.co.uk/dirname. I have www.janwright.co.uk/ks
Novagal
Grafter

Many thanks for your response Mwright.

Under 'domain hosting settings' I have configured directory to read htdocs/domainone. Same for website two.

Can you elaborate when you say quote......go onto the portal and point domainone to the dir for domainone..... how / where do I action this?

Both websites are 'defined' within there respective site names in dreamweaver and saved in different root folders. Server set up using ftp (ftp.plus.net & htdocs). Both sites have their own index.htm.

Appreciate your time and trouble to respond.

Regards,

K
N/A

The problem now is that you havn't changed dreamweaver to upload the the correspeonding sites directory.

Although you have made the needed changes on the PlusNet portal, as far as dreamweaver is concerned, it is just uploading to a directory.

Unless you change the settings in dreamweaver, it will continue to upload to the same directory.
Novagal
Grafter

Thanks,

I am obvoiusly having a bad hair day Cry ...............I have tried reconfiguring in dreamweaver (site definition process) and when I do the test I get an error that it does not recognise the directory. I have tried various permutations to no avail.
....back to beginning and now it uploads into my username.co.uk.....pah.

Geez........ I think I need an idiots guide to get over this hurdle. Have sort help from Dreamweavers help tool, little joy there.

Assume the answer lies in the Dreamweaver configuration, but beats me where!

Looking to you guys again to point me in a direction...thanks.

Regards,

K
Community Veteran

I answered a similar Q here: http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13995 so see if that helps.

You are sure you have configured the 2 domain names to point to separate directories in htdocs via the domain names page (under MY accounts on the left) and you have created the two directories as well?
Novagal
Grafter

Thank you very much Peter and everyone.

Your link to answering a fellow dreamweaver user was very useful and almost identical to my own.

Looking back the main frustration was that I was unable to locate the htdocs folder and it was not until I phoned up Plusnet yesterday that they directed me to the address ftp:// etc...homepages etc, so that I could create the site1 and site2 folder.

Feeling happy that I can now work on developing my websites Cheesy

Thanks again.

K