cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading large files

N/A

Downloading large files

Hi

Tried to download a 200MB file and it stopped after 20. Is there a limit on how much you can download.

regs
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Downloading large files

No limits on your ADSL connection but there may be traffic limits on the server you are downloading from. If this is a plusNet web site you are downloading from there are traffic limits depending on the ADSL/dialup product the member who created the web site has opted for.

I suggest you use a download manager for that size of file as there are many reasons why a download connection can drop out from the remote server being too busy, reaching traffic limits on the remote server or ISP, to network problems between you and the server or local router/software errors. Most download managers will allow resume of the download.
N/A

Downloading large files

Thanks Peter, I think that it was MS Internet Explorer that was causing the download to fail. However I downloaded a 'freeware' download manager and that is presently romping thru my download. when I have time I will see if IE has got anything in its settings to allow you to limit a download from a site. Hold on, the program bar at the top of the screen readsMS Internet Explorer provided by V21 who were my previous ISP I wonder if they have put some sort of limit on itHuh :twisted:

regs
Community Veteran

Downloading large files

I am not aware of any download limits you can set in IE.

I don't use IE anymore anyway, I use Mozilla now.
N/A

Downloading large files

IE has no limits other then the number of simutanious connections (IE, it will only have three connections open at a time to download the content and images of a page).

The V21 marking is known as branding, and is simply a string of text.

You might want to check if there are any proxy servers set in the IE settings though.
N/A

Downloading large files

Hi

Just checked my internet options in IE and my default connection was set to V21, therefore I guess that when I was trying to download via IE I was connecting thru V21 which I still have connected till the end of this month. I have changed my default connection now. It seems that it's just not your email address that changes when you change ISP. Could this have been made part of the original setup when I joined Plus.com?

Anyway thanx for your help on this matter, it's all been part of the learning code.

regs Cheesy
Community Veteran

Downloading large files

If this is a plusNet web site you are downloading from there are traffic limits depending on the ADSL/dialup product the member who created the web site has opted for.

Yes there are limits but they would not cause the download to stop if you exeeded the daily limit.
All that would happen in that case is that PlusNet would request that the site owner reduce the traffic by removing the large files. If this request was not complied with then they would consider manually removing the files or charging for the excess bandwidth used.