Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading email

N/A

Downloading email

Hi,

A very simple question (hopefully!)Wink

Can I download my PlusNet email from a different address? I am soon to start working away from home quite a lot and was going to set up a dial-up (eugh!) account so I can get my email. Obviously I know I can use webmail, but ideally I want to download my email to the email client on my laptop.

I've never tried it before as I've never needed too and I was just wondering! Smiley

Cheers,
Tim.
5 REPLIES
RobDickson
Grafter

Downloading email

You can set-up your PlusNet e-mail address to divert to another e-mail address if you would like to (under Email Settings in the My Account section), instead of actually existing as a POP3 mailbox.

However, why do you want to do this? Why don't you just access your PlusNet e-mail account in the same way that you do at home, but use the e-mail client on your laptop, and the dial-up connection?

If you're connected through a PlusNet dial-up connection, then the settings will be identical to your home settings. If you're connected through another ISP's dial-up connection, then you'll need to use that ISP's SMTP server, but still use all your PlusNet account details, and PlusNet's POP3 server.
N/A

Downloading email

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Not sure if my opening question was a little fluffy, or I'm not understanding your reply! Shockedops: Actually I think it's me,,,,I'm having a very cloudy day!!!

All I want is the ability, whilst I am away from home, to use dial-up from any other ISP (or a PlusNet one!) to connect to the net and then, using the email software aleady on my laptop, connect in to PlusNets email servers and download my email just as I would if I was at home on my lovely broadband connection. Is this possibleHuh?

Cheers,
Tim
RobDickson
Grafter

Downloading email

It's as easy as you describe. Just add the dial-up connection details using Dial-Up Networking, connect to a phone line (or via your mobile), leave your e-mail settings as they are, and Bob's your uncle.

http://www.robdickson.co.uk/PC_Advice/mobilenet.php
N/A

Downloading email

Fabulous! Thanks very much! Cheesy
RobDickson
Grafter

Downloading email

My pleasure.