cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't leave Plusnet - a warning.

N/A

Up until recently I had been with Plusnet for over 4 years, I left because I was getting very poor download speeds and I blamed this (wrongly) on Plusnet. I have since moved to Virgin Media and I am getting the same poor download speeds in fact they are even worse than plusnet - averaging around 240Kb/s on an 8Mb line.
The difference however, is the customer support, with Plusnet you can email them and they always reply very quickly. Virgin Media with their “Award winning customer service” – is somewhat different.
To this end I had been on the phone on a regular basis to their customer support and had written countless emails to broadband support. Customer support goes through the standard rote replies for all generic broadband faults and basically goes round in circles until a dead end occurs. Broadband support generally responds to emails after approximately a week with the standard email which says to click on links to answers on the virgin broadband site unfortunately, these links do not exist. “Award winning customer support” I don’t think so.

So if you are thinking of moving - then think again - I wish I had.
21 REPLIES
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

It can be a bit of a shock when you move from Plusnet to one of the cheap mass market ISP's. I came to Plusnet from TalkTalk and had the same experience as you. TT told me I could only have 512Kb due to my line quality(now on 2Mb with Plusnet) , continually lied to me and let me down.

I found Plusnet to be ideal for my needs and it was a nice change to talk to a helpfull support team that knew what you were talking about and fixed your problems properly. Thats why I pay the extra £'s each month.
craig_p
Grafter

Cheesy in life, you only get what you pay for!!!.. Plusnet is a top ISP, why would BT bother to buy them if not?. Hope they leave the system as it is. It works well. Just feel sorry for the masses who think that the big players are better. Quality not quantity I say. There will always be someone who is not happy. Thats life!!!!!
ibz2002
Dabbler

what virgin provide is definatley better. TRULY unlimited downloads, no port blocking, no trafficshaping etc. They are able to do this becuase of the fibre optic cables thy use(more data transfer). I know 4/5 peole with virgin, there connections, speeds are way better and they are very happy with their connections, they transfer 50gb+ per month. As for help,support pages, query response times, CUSTOMER SEVICE and responding to other problems etc PN are one of the best in the business.
N/A

I left Plusnet because it turned from the best ISP into an unreliable service provider in 2 short years. Jumping ship can be a gamble as the OP has clearly found but i am glad i moved , my new ISP gives me what i want ,a stable connection any time of day and no FUP. Its cost me a couple of quid more but well worth it.
Fixes: 125

what virgin provide is definatley better. TRULY unlimited downloads, no port blocking, no trafficshaping etc.

Not sure if that is completely true as reading their T&C (Virgin Cable T&C) Section 4i it seems pretty clear, to me anyway, that they do monitor traffic and will shape as and when neccessary. So maybe not now, but sometime it can & will happen.

Then again, I could be wrong!

Regards.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

craig_p
Grafter

Cheesy As far as I know, Virgin is old ntl cable. I had problems getting broadband as cable is not in my area due to my remote location. Normal broadband will not work on fibre optic cable, as was installed to my development. BT had to install a new copper cable to run it. As for reliability, it meets my needs and is a very stable connection. I'm sure that Virgin will shape their network as soon as they have hit their subscriber targets. How else do they pay for all that advertising on tv. Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

what virgin provide is definatley better. TRULY unlimited downloads, no port blocking, no trafficshaping etc.

You may want to check that one:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/2941-traffic-shaping-trial-underway-for-some-ntl-telewest-custome...
N/A

Do'nt downgrade...it may cost you!

Sadly I have a different story. I recently signed my old Mum up to the 21st Century and recommended she join PlusNet and go on the £14.99 PAYG. Sadly she has not used it as much as anticipated so I looked at the possibilty of downgrading to the £9.99 or possible dial-up again (yes she really does use that little) To my horror she was to be charged over £80 just to downgrade and it appears that we are tied in for several years. I did phone and e mail customer support only to be told rather tersely 'it's in the T & C you should have read them better!) Very helpful. Am I alone in thinking this is excessive? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Adsie
gswindale
Grafter

How long ago did you sign her up? For some reason, moving to PAYG basic appears to count as a full cancellation of contract, rather than a product regrade, which means that you would have to pay the outstanding deferred fees for both activation and hardware, along with a regrade fee. If she's been with Plus for around about a year, then the majority of these fees will be waived shortly (mid-April I believe).

I know what you mean about not using the net much as my parents are now with the Virgin dial-up penny a minute offering which apparently adds about 50p to their bill each month, but causes me problems when they need support as I'd like to be able to remotely connect to their PC.
N/A

In answer to Kratos I believe that it is Virgin media's Cable network that he is referring to, which was previously NTL/Telewest. Yes, from what I have heard they do provide a good and consistant Broadband service due to the technology they use ie state of the art fibre optics. Unfortunately, cable is not in my area so it is Virgin Media's ADSL network that I am using and having the problems with. However, my main gripe is the appalling customer service that they provide. If you think Plusnet is bad then you want to try Virgin.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think it is more the case that the free setup (deferred activation etc) is not available under PAYG basic.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Re: Don't leave Plusnet - a warning.

Up until recently I had been with Plusnet for over 4 years, I left because I was getting very poor download speeds and I blamed this (wrongly) on Plusnet. I have since moved to Virgin Media and I am getting the same poor download speeds in fact they are even worse than plusnet - averaging around 240Kb/s on an 8Mb line.
The difference however, is the customer support, with Plusnet you can email them and they always reply very quickly. Virgin Media with their “Award winning customer service” – is somewhat different.
To this end I had been on the phone on a regular basis to their customer support and had written countless emails to broadband support. Customer support goes through the standard rote replies for all generic broadband faults and basically goes round in circles until a dead end occurs. Broadband support generally responds to emails after approximately a week with the standard email which says to click on links to answers on the virgin broadband site unfortunately, these links do not exist. “Award winning customer support” I don’t think so.

So if you are thinking of moving - then think again - I wish I had.
hi mate iv just gone with vigin from plusnet on to cable mind speeds are good all day done drop one bit its your phone exchange
gswindale
Grafter

Yes, the problem is with the exchange, but the experience from Virgin CS seems to be causing the major problem - lack of interest on their part.

You're in a cabled area, which means you should get a decent speed on the internet except when Virgin are throttling you for downloading 500G/day. Not all areas can get cable, and for those Virgin customers in such areas, they desperately need to use the cash saved for not carrying Sky channels to improving their Customer Service.
N/A

In answer to Kratos I believe that it is Virgin media's Cable network that he is referring to, which was previously NTL/Telewest. Yes, from what I have heard they do provide a good and consistant Broadband service due to the technology they use ie state of the art fibre optics. Unfortunately, cable is not in my area so it is Virgin Media's ADSL network that I am using and having the problems with. However, my main gripe is the appalling customer service that they provide. If you think Plusnet is bad then you want to try Virgin.
you right with the cable network i get fast speeds all the time and from the summer there doing 20mb line and are now looking in to doing 100 mbs line from next year who going to match that on a phone line no one