cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't laugh... newbie help with email please...

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Don't laugh, but after years of AOHell I'm not used to entering in my own settings Shockedops: One of the things AOL do well (maybe the only thing!) is give you a simple set-up without any user input required.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the migration to PlusNet broadband, and to be prepared I've loaded up Outlook Express, added all my addresses, Internet Explorer and added all my favourite places. I've printed out and read the help stuff, I've read some of the postings here, but...

I wasn't expecting to get a 'postmaster' address, I thought I would get the chance to pick one?? Assuming I got that wrong, I've made up another one, but now OE is giving me problems. It took ages to get the postmaster one both receiving and sending, but I got it Cheesy but I can't get the second one to work :?:
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

postmaster is just the default address that PlusNet insist that you always monitor.

The way the system works is that you can use any name you like to the left of the @ sign and all mail will go to your default mailbox.

If you want you can then set up named mailboxes with any name you want and only mail with that specific name will go into that box.

You then collect mail from from the box with username+boxname as the address you log on to with outlook or outlook express.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

If you want you can then set up named mailboxes with any name you want and only mail with that specific name will go into that box.

You then collect mail from from the box with username+boxname as the address you log on to with outlook or outlook express.

So if I don't mind it all arriving in the one inbox I don't need to set up another address in Outlook Express?
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

No I'm still doing something wrong Shockedops: although funnily enough it's not being returned like it was before (with an error message about a non existent address) but it's not arriving either!

I've done away with the second address setting in OE, didn't do the '+' thing because I must have done it wrong (it said 'not a proper emai address') but no luck on additional address :?:
Community Veteran

So if I don't mind it all arriving in the one inbox I don't need to set up another address in Outlook Express?

Correct. If you have no mailboxes named then any mail with any name sent to your address @stewarta13wsb.plus.com will arrive in the same defailt mail box which you just collect by using stewarta13wsb as the account name in outlook express.
N/A

One thing to note: you won't be able to send outgoing mail (using relay.plus.net) until your migration is fully completed - you must be connected via PlusNet dialup or ADSL for this to work.
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

sorry... still confused Shockedops: I can send and receive with my postmaster address now, although the migration isn't completed, but I still can't get my extra email address to work - is that because of the migration?

For the other part "if you have no mailboxes named, any mail will arrive" I don't quite get... on the first tab of tools / accounts / properties it asks for your email address - should I leave that blank? (Can't, just tried that!)

Sorry to be so thick but where exactly am I filling in (or not) these details please?
lowry
Grafter

Hi Stewart,
When you open a PlusNet account you get a default mailbox set up which receives any mail sent to anything@yourusername.plus.com - this should be fine for most people. This means e-mail to john@yourusername.plus.com, and info@yourusername.plus.com would arrive in the same place.

Some people, for example families with a few people in the house using the internet, like to have separate mailboxes instead of one large one. In this case, a separate mailbox can be set-up where mail sent to a specific alias (the word before the @ sign) is sent, and the default mailbox is completely separate. For example, say someone called Peter wanted their own mailbox and set-up peter@yourusername.plus.com on this page on the portal:

• All e-mail sent to peter@yourusername.plus.com would arrive in his own password-protected mailbox and would not be received in the default mailbox.
  • All e-mail sent to everything else apart from peter@yourusername.plus.com would be received in your default mailbox.

Since you have not completed migration yet, the SMTP server that PlusNet use (this is the outgoing mail server in Outlook Express's account settings dialog) sould not be able to send any mail as you need to be connected to a PlusNet connection to use it. However, if it works Smiley all well and good! You need to make sure that your second mailbox (not the postmaster default mailbox, but your other one) is set up correctly. The settings are exactly the same, except for the username part. Enter the following in Outlook Express using Tools menu>Accounts>Mail and then either adding a new account or modifying the second mailbox (not the postmaster one) that you are having problems with:

• Username - username+mailbox name (e.g stewarta13wsb+peter)
  • Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - mail.plus.net
  • Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - relay.plus.net
  • Password - Your usual PlusNet password
  • E-Mail address - When Outlook Express asks for an e-mail address, enter mailboxname@yourusername.plus.com so in this example peter@yourusername.plus.com.

*Or if you are entering the e-mail address for the postmaster account, put something like mail@yourusername.plus.com (bear in mind that any mail sent to any alias that is not a mailbox will arrive in that account.

I hope that helps in some way Smiley
matt Wink
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Thank you all Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Now working on both addresses :!: