cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain registration - free co.uk with account

N/A

My account includes one free 'co.uk' domain. To register this, do I just use the normal domain registration form on the portal?
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Yes just follow the steps on the domain registration option and it will check if the name you want is available for you.
If it is then you can carry on and register it in your name. Smiley
N/A

Thanks John.

I've just been through the registration process and when I got to the end, I was informed that whilst registration is free, at the end of two years there will be a registration fee to pay for renewal. Is this correct?
My account is ADSL Netstart (£27.99 per month plus VAT) and it says that one co.uk domain is included. If there will be a renewal fee at the end of two years then surely this should be made plain.
Community Veteran

I think this is incorrect. Do you have the option of paying the £1-00 per month for your domain?
If so then there should be no renewal fee as the £1-00 covers this.
I had a similar thing happen to me when I took out my domain 4 years ago and I was charged for the registration. I then raised as contact us ticket and the fee was refunded.
In fact I have just had to do similar again as I got an email to say that they would be taking the renewal fee in December for my domain.
It seems the system had gone astray somwhere and this fee has now been recinded.

So to sum up. Are you paying or have the option to pay the £1-00 per month/
If so then there should be no charge for registering the domain and no renewal fee due after the 2 years. Smiley
N/A

The package I have at work is described at this link
http://www.plus.net/info2/business/bus_broadband_adslnetstart_selfinstall.html
This says that one free co.uk domain is included in the cost.
I don't think I should pay on that basis. However, it was just when I went through the signup that there was an implication I would have to pay on re-registration in two years.

I do have a HOME account also, which does not include a free co.uk domain, but allows an optional co.uk domain for £1.00 per month.
Community Veteran

I take it that you want the domain for the work "netstart" account.
If so then it clearly says that the free domain is included with that package and I am convinced that despite what it says when you try and register it that you should not have to pay a renewal fee at the end of the 2 years?

You should have this verified though by raising a link:Contact us ticket and getting it in writing from PlusNet.
N/A

I have now raised this with PlusNet and their answer is as follows:

As long as you have the account you will get the domain and the renewal change account or leave us and you will have to pay £52.88 to keep the domain.

That's clear then.
Community Veteran

Not the worlds best English :?
I hope you have replied on the ticket to say that its gobbledegook Cry and they have not answered your query.
N/A

I think what it is trying to say is this.

If you keep your broadband account and domain, there is no renewal fee.

If you stop your broadband account, thus meaning your domain isnt included as part of the package, then you pay the extra money.

That's my impression of it though!

Craig
N/A

I went ahead and registered the domain.

After the usual couple of days waiting for confirmation, the domain is now 'registered and hosted'. However, when you click the 'configure' button, the bottom of the next window declares the following:

>>You have not made a choice regarding your domain renewal.
>>Your domain, www.sherburnhouse.co.uk is set to expire on 2006-10-06
>>Your hosting for domain, www.sherburnhouse.co.uk is set to expire on >>2005-10-06
>>
>>You can find our latest pricing here (subject to T&C's)
>>
>>Option 1 - To automatically renew your domain after this date, click here. >>This will allow you to retain your domain name.
>>
>>Option 2 - To allow your domain to expire after this date, click here.
>>
>>WARNING. Choosing option 2 means you will lose your domain, >>www.sherburnhouse.co.uk, when it expires.

I haven't chosen either of these yet. I think I will raise another ticket and ask for further clarification on this. :?:
Community Veteran

Just checked mine but I dont get the "You havn't made a choice" bit.

I understood that unless you actually stated that you dont want renewal then the default is to just renew it as a matter of course.
This is intended to prevent poeple losing a domain by forgetting to take any option.

Please let us know the result of your Contact us ticket :?:
Community Veteran

That issues has been discussed in two other threads and the conclusion I came to was the wording used does not actually reflect all the options available to you at this point.

See Do you lose your free .co.uk domain name when upgradingHuh .

It was discussed in more detail in I lose my .co.uk domain name ... Whaaat!!! but the thread was closed (by John as it happens Wink ) and the issue never resolved as a result. This needs to be revisited by PlusNet and the wording changed on that page to reflect ALL the optons available when upgrading, especially the one I think you want which is not given as an option - to move your free domain to your £1/month inclusive domain on your ADSL account.
Community Veteran

especially the one I think you want which is not given as an option - to move your free domain to your £1/month inclusive domain on your ADSL account.

I this case Peter the domain is just being opened so it should automatically become a "free domain" (Misnomer really for ADSL user) or an incuded domain which is a better discription. So there should be no need for any option providing that sherburnhouse hasn't got any more domains already.

But yes like a lot of things on the PlusNet Portal it is confusing and really needs a total re write.
Another thing for the PlusNet User Group to take on board perhaps. Smiley
(Or shall we just lash the developers some more) Wink
Community Veteran

Yep, I'll riase it on PUG when I get a moment.
N/A

I've just had a reply to my contact ticket which states that as long as I keep the account, the domain will be automatically renewed.

I agree with John and Peter though, that the wording is somewhat confusing and could easily be made plain.

BTW, I've now selected the automatic renewal option. I'll let you know whether they try to charge me in two years time. :lol: