cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain name registration and email question.

N/A

Hi All
Can someone just clarify one or two points for me regarding registering a domain name with Plusnet please? The first point: The name lasts for two years, at the end of the two years can you keep the name and pay for a further two years, and so on? in other words, can you re-new it every two years?
Second point: what happens with email? I currently have several email boxes with my plusnet account, with the user ID 'Kensco' only one of these is accessed through 'outlook express' the rest are accessed through webmail from the plusnet portal,i.e Kensco+name etc, would I have to change all these to a new ID+ name, the ID being the domain name registered? Would all these email names be automatically deleted? so I would have to make new email boxes? for family members etc. I presume that 'Kensco' would be defunct, so I would have to start from the beginning as it were, is this correct?
And finally, (for now), is the £1 per monthe added to my subsciption fee each month, so my £21.99 would just go up to £22.99?
Thanks
Ken
6 REPLIES
N/A

When you take up the £1 domain offer from PlusNet, you are correct. £1 a month is added onto your subscription, thus £22.99 a month if your paying £21.99 a month now.

This £1 runs every month, until you no longer want the domain. PlusNet will renew your payments for the domain every 2 years (the way domains work).

For e-mail, you can leave things as normal, and they will work as normal.

if you have a mailbox called james@kensco.plus.com, then james@domain.co.uk (whichever domain you pick) both get to the same mailbox, using the login kensco+james

You can actualy pickup these extra mailboxes via Outlook Express too (poor choice of e-mail software). You use the same details, except the username and password are kensco+mailbox and the mailbox password, as per the mailbox you setup.
N/A

When I read the details, it said "we will automatically update your webspace and email account", so I presumed the previuos ID 'kensco' would no longer work, so do both of the ID's remain valid to use then? What about accessing the server, using FTP? would the kensco ID still work there? as well as the new ID, in fact, would there be a new ID, for the new domain name?

Cheers
Ken
N/A

All existing features remain the same, nothing is lost or deleted.

You simply gain features through the domain.
N/A

Okey doke then. Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated.

By the way, what did you mean "poor choice" for email, outlook express. it seems to do the job ok, what would you reccomend? I was thinking of looking at some different email software.
Cheers
Ken
N/A

Outlook Express is a poor choice, for the same reasons Internet Explorer is a poor choice.

Every peice of software has its issues, however, Microsoft is slow at responding to them. Because of this, and the very side usage of the software, they are targets by virus writters.

I personaly use a combination of Internet Explorer and Opera for web browsing, and use The Bat! from Ritlabs for e-mail.
N/A

The Bat looks great. But have you a recommendation for a mail program to run under Linux?

Best regards, Martin Brampton