cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain name point to static ip

N/A

Hi, i apologise if this is a common question, i tried browsing about and searching and couldnt find anything so i figured i would ask. How do i go about setting up my domin, (Hosted at plusnet) to point directly to my plusnet ipaddress? Not just port 25 for smtp but everything. Including port 80 3389 etc etc etc because i host my website from home. Anyhelp is GREATLY appreciated. Ben
ben@benshole.co.uk
9 REPLIES
lowry
Grafter

This FAQ from the support section may help.

matt Wink
N/A

Thanks man, i knew there would be one somewhere, sadly that faq was a little hard to follow what with the screen shots not actually showing the same as the text! i can get the gist and figure how to do sub domains like mail.domain.co.uk but from A records etc etc i dont see how i can point ALL traffic to domain.co.uk to my ip. Oh hmm just a brain storm, is it the "www" part? so set up an A record for "www" to point to the domain, im really not very good on DNS. But im learning,
[edit] also how do i go about adding the port suffix for sub dominsHuh like mail.domain.co.uk to point to my.ip.add.res:port Huh?
N/A

You don't add any port suffix what so ever.

DNS is a doamin to IP address translation system. It simply converts a name to an address, so that a system may contact it.

DNS is like a Postcode checker system. It converts a postcode (web address), into a street address (IP address).

It isn't until you visit the property, that you actualy egt to speak to the person you where after (the port).
N/A

i know the principal of dns. I can get redirection of www.domain.co.uk but how do i get just anything to domain.co.uk to be pointed to the address?
Community Veteran

Is that not the standard setting. What happens when you ping domain.co.uk, does it return your PN assigned IP address?
N/A

ok, when i ping
ping domain.co.uk no response
ping www.domain.co.uk my ip address because i setup an A record for "www" but for certain all trafic isnt being directed to my ip.
N/A

Are you performing any tests externaly?

Many rotuers and some modems will not allow loopback connections. This is where you try to connect to your own IP static address, from within your own network.

The only way to test in these conditions, is from an external host. This can be done using a proxy or asking a friend.
N/A

My router allows it and will find it. Plus i have tried from school. And

Sorry, Proxify can't access that website.
The website may be unreachable or unavailable for any of these possible reasons:
Proxify is blocking access to the website in accordance with our TOS.
The website administration is denying access to one of Proxify's servers.
The domain is not registered.
Poor DNS (Domain Name System) resolution or incorect DNS settings.
No viable route to the website from Proxify.

I set up the A record for www to point to my ip. Which it does because www.domain.co.uk works. But only that. I want domain.co.uk to do it.
Someone said it should be set up like that as standardHuh
N/A

Ah right. You havn't been clear in your needs until just now.

Yes, domain.co.uk is setup as standard, but it points to your normal webspace.

To adjust it to your static IP, add the following record

Left field: domain.co.uk. (note the . (period) at the end, it is important
Type: A or CNAME
Pri: leave blank

Right field:
If you chose CNAME: hamptoncrescent.plus.com
If you chose A: 80.229.231.205