cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain name hosting and email

N/A

I have my own .me.uk domain name hosted by another company. I understand that I could transfer it so it is hosted by PlusNet. What would the advantage be in doing this (if any)? If I did transfer how would I get email sent to my .me.uk address? Currently it is just forwarded to my PlusNet account.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice

Andrew
A new PlusNet 2MBS user
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If you are paying for hosting with the other company then by you could save money by having it hosted for free with Plusnet.
You could leave the billing and renewal of the domain with the other company and just have the name server pointing it to you Plusnet webspace.

Any mail then sent to you domain will then appear in your main mailbox with Plusnet and can be collected by using your username.
Or if you have set up a named mailbox for mail from that domain then you would use gale4+nameoffmailbox to collect it.
N/A

You could leave the billing and renewal of the domain with the other company and just have the name server pointing it to you Plusnet webspace.

how would u do thisHuh i have this problem where i have the domain but do not no how to point it to my plus net webspace?
Community Veteran

Information on bringing a domain in from another hosting company is available here on the customer support pages.
N/A

Thanks for the info but just to confirm that I understand this. I can transfer the domain over to plusnet and plus net take over the billing when the renewal is due. Email to my domain is picked up by plusnet. Is there any charge for this?

Or I point the name server to plusnet and emails wiil be picked up plusnet automatically. Billing stays with the current company.

Andrew
Community Veteran

You can do either, but plusnet will charge much more for the domain renewal than a domain name registration company so your second option (leaving the billing where it is) may be cheaper for you.

There is no charge for collecting email for your domains. You need to read up on how this works because you don't get separate mailboxes for your domain emails, they go to the same named plusnet mailbox:

fred@domain.com goes into the mailbox fred@username.plus.com
N/A

OK. Thanks for the reply - you are right about the costs: it was only £6 to register the domain for 2 years with 123-Reg.