cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Transferral

iPaqowner
Grafter

Domain Transferral

I want to transfer my domain from my current Host "Just-the-name" to Plusnet.
I can log in to my web control panel at just-the-name where there is a form I can fill in to do this........it requires the following

1. Contact email Address for new hosting company.
2. Nominet IPS-KEY.
3. Primary Name Server.
4. Secondary Name Server.
5. Tertiary Name Server.
Note. Please specify all name servers as hostnames not IP Addresses.

I raised a ticket with Plusnet support asking all the above........support replied with....

[Tag = FORCE9]
Name servers listed in order:
ns1.force9.net 195.166.128.16
ns2.force9.net 195.166.128.17

No answer to 1 or 5.

My questions.....are
1. is FORCE9 the Nominet IPS-KEY?
2. What is the Tertiary Name Server?

I have never heard of a "Tertiary" name server.

Thanks,
John
21 REPLIES
N/A

Domain Transferral

You are tright on all points.

Tertiary is just a third name server, and it isn't needed. Only a Pri and Sec servers are a requirment.

Beyond that, they should only require the IPSTAG (or IPS-KEY as they put it). Once transfered, PlusNet can change teh name servers themselves.
iPaqowner
Grafter

Domain Transferral

Philip,
Thanks for that. I went to the just-the-name web control panel and filled in those details.
Maybe you could answer another query of mine.

I have been on the "Broadband Easystart" account since last Sep when my local BT exchange was enabled and I am more than happy with the service but I am wondering if I am paying an extra pound a month too much when it may not be necessary.
As I understand the account is 24.99 monthly or 25.99 if you require a Domain name..........in my case I don't need a Domain Name as I already have mine (which I am transferring to Plusnet) so can I opt out of the Domain Name and save £1.00 a month.? and would the extra £1.00 a month I've been paying since last Sep be refunded?
I think I mistakenly ticked the box when I signed up for the account.
Thanks,
John
N/A

Think carefully before changing your IPSTAG

they should only require the IPSTAG

Oh dear. The costs for having the domain with PlusNet can be higher than with Just-The-Name and others (eg UKreg.com, 123-reg.co.uk, easily.co.uk) by a long way when it comes to transfer, and a pound a month for 2 years is at least twice the costs from many firms.

PlusNet staff say the facility is offered as a bonus for customers but that the main business is being an ISP not registrar. I would always try to keep the domain registration (IPSTAG) with an outside company as that will give the customer complete control, and usually be lower in cost. If you ever wanted to leave PlusNet, you may have fees to pay to transfer the domain to another firm (as hosting on PlusNet is tied to the connection account).

With another company (which gave free hosting) I was once "stung" with a fee of 35+VAT before I could transfer a domain from their service, because they required 30 days notice (I asked with 29 days notice and had already paid a fee to the new domain registration firm).

I would urge care whenever you are required to change the IPSTAG - it is quite likely to cost you more in the long run, at least in my experience. However, I know that UKreg.com does allow free "transfer in" and do have competitive charges, for .*.uk domains, so that's one exception where users might feel safe to change IPSTAG.
N/A

Domain Transferral

Why dont you cancel your hosting and just get your domain name redirected to your plus net account ?

Most domain name providers will give you name forwarding or email forwarding free of charge.

Create your web site with plusnet and point your domain name to here. If you have a good quality domain name company your URL will be masked as well, for example.....

Your domain name is www.myname.co.uk
Its actual location is www.accountname.plus.net/index.html
IE Browser will still show www.myname.co.uk

Hope this makes sense?
N/A

Domain Transferral

It does make sence, but doesn't show the pitfalls.

1: Google will hate your site.

This domain redirection, uses a method called "Framed redirection". In terms of use, it is pretty nifty, and doesn't require the same techincal experiance to setup.

However, search spiders like google hate frames, and even more, they hate redirected frames.

2: Dmoz, is one of the largest human edited web directories. They also hate frame redirection.

Because Dmoz is edited by humans, there is a strick set of guidelines editors follow. They are supposed to filter out framed redirection.

This means that your site will still be listed, but not using the domain names you had intended to have them list.

Dmoz is used by a very large portion of internet search sites. Google and Lycos (two very large engines) use the search data from Dmoz.
N/A

Domain Transferral

It does make sence, but doesn't show the pitfalls. ...
This domain redirection, uses a method called "Framed redirection".

I'd agree to avoiding redirection if possible. Hosting the domain properly is ideal and should be simple enough, once one knows which DNS entries to put in, via the registrar's control panel.

So the big question is "Does one need to change the IPSTAG at all, to use PlusNet to host the domain?"

It is easy with most** domain registration firms to change the DNS entries so any hosting can be used. It isn't that common to need to change the entries once they have been defined.

** avoid oneandone.co.uk as they do not allow changes to be made on .*.uk domains, but curiously do for .com/.org/.info domains !!

DNS records which PlusNet can change if they need, are held in their servers for any domains they have accepted for hosting.

IPSTAG (which Nominet uses as a way to control changes to the domain entry, and which firm Nominet expects to pay for the renewals) for .*.uk domains is quite separate from DNS entries (MX records, etc) and really I see no need to change it unless PlusNet insist (and if they do, why?)

I'm tempted to put something together as an overview / tutorial to help my own clients, who mostly leave the lot for me to deal with, and will be happy to submit it to the tutorials section of the User Tools facility, if it is of interest/deemed suitable.

Oh, and the word is "sense" Smiley
N/A

Domain Transferral

goodvalueisp wrote
I'm tempted to put something together as an overview / tutorial to help my own clients, who mostly leave the lot for me to deal with, and will be happy to submit it to the tutorials section of the User Tools facility, if it is of interest/deemed suitable.

It is certainly of interest to me,. Cheesy
Community Veteran

Domain Transferral

Just contact one of the tutorial team members or a mod if you want to do this.

Also if you can follow the format used in the other tutorials it should be an easy job to add it.
N/A

Domain Transferral

I have two domains hosted on my accout as 'DNS only' hosting. This means that the billing remains with an outside company (in my case LowCostNames) but they are fully hosted and configured on plusnet.

It was very easy to do any only took about 24 hours to complete

All i had to do was change the names servers at LCN to the force9 set and then raise a contact us ticket with plusnet support. There are no extra costs involved (and withe the EasyStart package u can have a total of 3 domains hosted, either registered through plusnet or only hosted)

Hope all that made sense Cheesy
N/A

Domain Transferral

the billing remains with an outside company (in my case LowCostNames) but they are fully hosted and configured on plusnet. ... easy to do any only took about 24 hours

It made a lot of sense and I hope you won't mind having your post quoted from time to time in future!! That's an ideal example of how best (IMHO) to handle hosting on PlusNet while keeping domain registration separate.
N/A

Domain Transferral

It was very easy to do any only took about 24 hours to complete

All i had to do was change the names servers at LCN to the force9 set and then raise a contact us ticket with plusnet support. There are no extra costs involved (and withe the EasyStart package u can have a total of 3 domains hosted, either registered through plusnet or only hosted)

Hope all that made sense Cheesy

Thanks for the info - I'm hoping to do this at the weekend I think as I have a domain registered at 123-reg...

I am looking to have the site hosted on the plusnet servers rather than my own machine at home, and also use the plusnet email servers and pick up my email via pop mailboxes.

So, in simple terms I need to do the following? (there is a gap here so please feel free to enlighten me!!!)

change the nameservers to
NS1.FORCE9.NET 195.166.128.16
NS2.FORCE9.NET 195.166.128.17

then I would need to change the DNS settings (A, CNAME and MX)
- this is where it gets hazy for me - what do I change these to? (or do I need to touch these at all - is this what the plusnet customer service ticket is for?)

I leave the IPStags as they are which means i get my renewals billed through 123-reg...

and we all live happily ever after...except I need to raise a ticket with plusnet - asking for what? What do I need to get plusnet to do?

Sorry, I'm not that techy and having to do this in spare time...

Richard
N/A

Domain Transferral

Indeed, you don't want to move the IPSTAG. The comapny holding this, is the company that bills you for the domain.

In the 123-reg control panel, click the button next to the dro-down box with your domain in.

In there, chanel the Nameservers (Not the DNS records) to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net

You can then raise a contact us ticket using the following path

• Technical Support (Except Connection problems - See below)
    • Domain Names
      • Transfering an existing domain name in to host on my account
        • Any .uk domain
          • Manual Transfer (DNS Only Hosting)

PlusNet will setup the e-mail and webhosting records for you. You will not need to do this.
N/A

Domain Transferral

Cool, thanks for clearing that up - stupid question but what happens to email while this is going on - does it disappear into a void or will it just get held up somewhere?

Richard
N/A

Domain Transferral

Well - Provided things goto plan, it will result in two possible things.

1: Errors occur, and the mail is stored for later delivery. After so long, step 2 will happen

2: A mail delivery failure notice is returned to the sender.

As such, you will either get the e-mail late, or the sender is informed that there message didn't get through, allowing them to resend.