Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Transfer / Hosting Pricing

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I am confused by the domain pricing. It seems that for £1 per month i can have a co.uk domain and that covers regn and hosting. However, I can buy a co.uk domain for less than £5 for 2 years. Can i not just transfer this in or get it pointed to my +Net account for nothing? This looks straightforward with the webspace but not so clear how I could change my email addresses to reflect my domain.

On another similar point i already own a .Net domain. can these be transfereed in for free and presumably the only other cost would be renewal of the regn (+Net seem expensive) as I am allowed to host sites for free on my +Net account. Or is there no point transferring in and again just pointing to my +Net account from a much cheaper registration company?

sorry if this is rambling!

Jon
7 REPLIES
N/A

You can use your domain at PlusNet, while paying renewel fees to anther company.

PlusNet mainly provide there domain services, as a convenient way of paying for the domain. They do not pretend to be cheap, as there official line is they are not a webhoster, but an ISP.

If you compare what other ISPs charge for domains attached to your accounts, PlusNet look rather attractive.

To do this type of hosting, you need to have your current register point the NS servers to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net.

Once this has been done, contact PlusNet usign the link:contact us system, and they will setup the required items on your account.

How many domains you can host like this, or via paying PlusNet for the domain name, varries between accounts. See THIS page for a table on what each account will allow and the charges should you need more.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Philip,

Is it possible then for my email address to become xxx@mydomain.net?

I know I can get mail forwarded from my domain to my +Net account but that would not make sent mail appear to come from my domain

Jon
N/A

Yes. once PlusNet have control over the the DNS records (once the NS records ahve been set), PlusNet will setup the MX records so they collect your e-mail for you.

However, with PlusNet, mail detined for (eg) usera@domain.net is placed in the same mailbox as usera@username.plus.com
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

so mail to others will appear to come from xxxx@mydomain.net?
N/A

Yes.

You can set the from address to be whatever you want, provided the domain is real and the server you send it through will accept it.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

I have set the current register to point the NS servers to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net.

Do i have to transfer in or can I operate in exactly the same way leaving the domain with the current register. what are the pro's / con's of a full transfer?

Thanks.

Jon
N/A

The pro's are that it is one company doing the hosting and billing.

The con's are that you are charged the higher rates by PlusNet.

Just changing the NS records means that the PlusNet names servers are answering queries for your domain.

Once you have changed the NS records, you should contact PlusNet using the link:contact us system.

The FAQ on how this kind of NS tranfer takes place is available HERE