cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Swap over

N/A

Domain Swap over

can any-1 please give me some info on swaping my domain name with plus net from my free webspace to a host.....

i have signed up with a new host and they have gave me some dns settings here is what i got...

=====================================================
DNS Instructions:
=====================================================

If you have a domain name, you will need to process the DNS changes.
Please change the domains nameservers to the following.

Primary : ns1.********.***
Secondary : ns2.********.***

can any-1 please tell me what settings to go for in the plus nets DNS records...HuhHuh

many thanks..
9 REPLIES
N/A

Domain Swap over

That is currently not possible with the PlusNet setup.

You would need to move the billing (Or IPSTAG as it is known) to another company like 123-reg.co.uk to be able to adjust the NS records.

If you are still tied in your contract for the £1 domain, you will have to pay the full charge to move the domain.

Alternatly, are you hoping to host your website and mail at your new host?

Ask your provide if your can point your domain using a CNAME record. This will allow you to complete your contract with PlusNet before moving the domain.
N/A

Domain Swap over

Hmmm i see.. .

so is it possible to point my domain i have with plus net. to the new url that i have with the host... it must be as im now pointing it to my cgi webspace so could i just some how swap the details to point to the new host url.... it looks like this as now http://68.45.89.33/~mysite/ if so how...Huh
N/A

Domain Swap over

any info on this plz...Huh can it be done.... Huh if i can point my domain to my free webspace can i point it to anywhere else...Huh like http://68.45.89.33/~mysite/
N/A

Domain Swap over

Re-read the answer by Phil (acarr). The answer is no for a site that is hosted outside PlusNet. You can only use a simple redirect page from your Plusnet webspace.
N/A

Domain Swap over

I WAS JUST GOING WITH WHAT IT SAID HERE...
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10154&highlight=domain

Pointing your domain to your computer or another IP address

You can point your domain name to somewhere other than PlusNet's homepages server if you like. The main advantage of this is to host your website on your own machine. This is particularly useful if for some reason you run an IIS webserver and use ASP, as PlusNet doesn't support ASP.

Let's imagine you want people to be able to see your webserver hosted on your own machine by typing mycomputer.fa55.net in their web browsers. In this example 212.159.80.45 is the IP address of your machine. You will need to find out what your IP address is as this one, like the domain, is mine.

In the configure DNS page you need to enter the following:

the test page that im using now on my host is just like this... an ip... http://212.159.80.45/mysite/
so why not...Huh if it can be redirected to a pc ip why not a host ip....Huh?? same thing ain't it.. ?
N/A

Domain Swap over

OK, this is bordering on my know how. This is how I understand it.

The IP you quote above, which I assume is your PC, is still within PlusNet's realm. ie, You are connected to PlusNet and the PTR can be changed to any, within reason, IP within PlusNet realm.
I think the PTR cannot be changed to anything outside PlusNets realm.

So you can point to your Plusnet Webspace, PusNet CGI server, your PC connected to Plusnet with a static IP, another PlusNet connected PC with static IP, someone elses PlusNet webspace/CGI and so on.
The only thing you cannot do, for some reason, is to get the PTR to point to PlusNets Frontpage server.
N/A

Domain Swap over

whats are the plus net name servers...Huh so i can point my domain back to my web space...Huh
Community Veteran

Domain Swap over

ns1.force9.net
ns2.force9.net

And yes they are the PlusNet ones.
N/A

Domain Swap over

many thanks for your quick reply... Cheesy