Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Squatting

Firejack
Grafter

Domain Squatting

Need a little advice.

I've just come to register my family name as a .me.uk domain. However its already taken by a US citizen. I was under the impression .me.uk domains were reserved for UK residents only :roll:

Surely this is a case of someone stealing my intellectual property?
5 REPLIES
lowry
Grafter

Domain Squatting

Hi there,
I'm not sure what the rules for .me.uk domains are (possibly a read of Nominet's site is in order), however I doubt this sort of thing would be classed as someone stealing your intellectual property. It is possible, as a UK internet user, to register international domains using an ISP that sells them.

This means that I could register a .ie domain name, which are actually domains that are meant for residents & businesses in the Republic of Ireland, however it is perfectly above board and legal as the ISP I register the domain with has to have an agreement with the controller of that domain suffix (Nominet in theUK's case). Take Simply.Com for example, they are UK-based and offer domain names from other countries aswell. See this page on their site for example...

I hope that is correct, but that is what I understand the situation to be. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will correct any mistakes.

matt Wink
N/A

Domain Squatting

.me.uk domains are not restricted to location of registration. IE, they don't need to live, reside or have citizenship within the scope of the .uk TLD.

AKA, a US citizen has legal rights to a .me.uk domain.

However, there are strict rules as to which .me.uk domains a person may register and who can complain / who can make a 3rd party complaint.

Under the .me.uk proposal (which was voted in), under "E. Outline of Proposed Personal SLD Rules", sections A1, A2.1, A2.2, A2.3 detail who has claim over said names.

Provided the leasee of the domain owns the domain through a personal name or sudoname, then they have the same rights to it as you.
Firejack
Grafter

Domain Squatting

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Shame I can't get my family name. :roll:
lowry
Grafter

Domain Squatting

Try a search for your family name on other extensions. If I recall correctly, 123-reg offers a search facility on their site which lets you enter your family name (or whatever word you want in your domain) and it will search for allof the available extensions.

matt Wink
Firejack
Grafter

Domain Squatting

Turns out there are some other domain names I can register... for 25 times the price :!: Sad