cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Names – Help!

Richchad
Grafter

Domain Names – Help!

Can someone clarify the procedure and cheapest way to get a unique email address.
I was thinking of obtaining a domain name via Easily.co.uk (10 years for £99) then transferring it in to Plusnet.
I understand I can host up to 3 domains at a £1 per month within my package, ADSL Broadband Home, which is now, I think ‘Pay as you go’..?
Is the charge of either £45 or £79 plus vat to register a domain name or to transfer in a domain name, if it is to transfer in, is it a one off charge, or have I got this all wrong?
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Domain Names – Help!

Where do I start... so many misunderstandings....

I was thinking of obtaining a domain name via Easily.co.uk (10 years for £99) then transferring it in to Plusnet.

Way way way too expensive. Go to www.1and1.co.uk and register a domain for £5 which you then have for 2 years and you then renew for £5 every 2 years.
I understand I can host up to 3 domains at a £1 per month within my package

You can't host 3 domains each for £1/month.

Your package allows you to host up to 3 domains free of charge. The £1/month is for a single domain that you want to pay for which can either be one you purchase from PlusNet or transfer in (including billing) one of your existing domains which you can then state will be your £1/month domain. But I do not recommend you do this as there are much cheaper ways to hold domains.
ADSL Broadband Home, which is now, I think ‘Pay as you go’..?

What exactllt does it state your package is under account details -> account summary and how much are you paying per month. Jut saying broadband home is not enough to identify your product.
Is the charge of either £45 or £79 plus vat to register a domain name or to transfer in a domain name, if it is to transfer in, is it a one off charge, or have I got this all wrong?

Forget about the costs that PlusNet charge. Register your domain with 1&1 and just transfer the hosting only to PlusNet which is free. This way you keep the billing with 1and1 (which only charge £5 every 2 years) and not have to pay PlusNets very expensive registration fees.

So.....

- Register a domain with 1and1
- Change the DNS records on the 1& control panel to Plusnets (ns1.force9.net, ns2.force9.net)
- Raise a ticket to ask plusnet to host the domain on your account

Total cost... £5 every 2 years.

Theere are some PlusNet help pages which explain what to do here.
Richchad
Grafter

Domain Names – Help!

Many thanks for your reply Peter,
It looks like I have got it completely wrong..!
I guess the charge of £5 from 1and1.co.uk is for a .co.uk domain as after having a quick look at the site, it is £8.89 per year for .com's etc.
My package was originally PlusNet Broadband Home Lite 1Mb (Monthly Contract, No Modem) so assume it is now Pay as you go as I am charged for additional GB of Data transfer?
So it should only cost me whatever the charge to 1and1 is, and nothing to Plusnet?
I will read the pages you suggest but it is nice to get it in straight forward 'not to technical' language.
N/A

Domain Names – Help!

Having got a domain is there a charge to set up e-mail addys?Huh
Community Veteran

Domain Names – Help!

No, but you don't actually get separate mailboxes for your domain. I.e. anything@domain.co.uk goes to your correspondingly named plusnet mailbox so fred@domain.co.uk actually goes into fred@username.plus.com.

You can still setup your email client to send as anyone@domain.co.uk but you must pick up your email using username+mailboxname & it's password.

See Domain Administration - Email Settings
Community Veteran

Re: Domain Names – Help!

My package was originally PlusNet Broadband Home Lite 1Mb (Monthly Contract, No Modem) so assume it is now Pay as you go as I am charged for additional GB of Data transfer?

That is correct. The Lite accounts are now called broadband premier PAYG and you should be paying £14.99/month for it.
So it should only cost me whatever the charge to 1and1 is, and nothing to Plusnet?

Correct.
N/A

Domain Names – Help!

ok...I've set up my domain with 1and1 and am in the process of getting it hosted on PlusNet. When I go to set up an e-mail addy on my domain I get two options, Mailbox or Forward. I have gone for the forward option saying addy@domain.co.uk is forwarded to addy@username.plus .com. Is this the right way to do it?

Can I continue to set up e-mail addys when the domain is hosted by PlusNet?
Community Veteran

Domain Names – Help!

No, you should not use the forward option. Just created a named mailbox on your account and that is then the mailbox you can use for your domain. Remember, anything@domain.co.uk goes into your anything@username.plus.com mailbox.

You can have as many mailboxes as you like and decide which ones you want to use for your domain and whoch ones to use for your plusnet name.

See Domain Administration - Email Settings and Mailboxes for specific details.
N/A

Domain Names – Help!

I'm really struggling with this! I've gone back to my 1and1 Domain to edit my e-mail settings and remove the forwarding option. I then have to fill in some other boxes - Mailbox details (it aleady has a number 1 in the field) and password. What do I put in the Mailbox field? Do I delete the 1? It has got a series of numbers in front of it but outside the box. (m39406054-)
N/A

Domain Names – Help!

Just had a thought. Do I have to get the Domain hosted by PlusNet BEFORE I set up my e-mail addysHuh
Community Veteran

Domain Names – Help!

ok...I've set up my domain with 1and1 and am in the process of getting it hosted on PlusNet. When I go to set up an e-mail addy on my domain I get two options, Mailbox or Forward. I have gone for the forward option saying addy@domain.co.uk is forwarded to addy@username.plus .com. Is this the right way to do it?

Can I continue to set up e-mail addys when the domain is hosted by PlusNet?

I can't see why you wouldn't do it that way, its the way I do my e-mail with 1&1 to my PN email and it works fine! although I have started using 1&1 IMAP for my e-mail
Community Veteran

Domain Names – Help!

You should not have to do anything with your domain on 1and1 except change the DNS servers to plusnet. When the domain is hosted, PN will change the MX settings for your domain to point it to the plusnet mail servers.

So, wait until the domain is properly hosted on PlusNet before making any changes.

On the 1and1 domain control panel it should look similar to the following once hosting transfer has been completed:

Domain name your.co.uk
IP Address (A-Record) 212.159.8.1
Name server 1 ns2.force9.net
Name server 2 ns1.force9.net
Mail server 1 mx.core.plus.net, 10
Mail server 2 mx.last.plus.net, 20

If the MX records are not as stated above then no mail will be received by PlusNet for the domain.

You can create mailboxes at any time on PlusNet but you will have to wait
Community Veteran

Domain Names – Help!

oh I always thought that if you transferred your domain to plusnet DNS you had to pay plusnet as well as 1&1
Community Veteran

Domain Names – Help!

No, as I stated earlier, hosting is free for up to 3 domains on your plusnet account. You only pay 1&1 and then only for the domain every 2 years. If you transfer the domain to PlusNet (i.e. you change the IPSTAG for the domain to Plusnet and move the billing to PlusNet), then you have to pay PlusNets doamin renewal charges.

Also when you stated you had created a forward mailbox, I thought you were refering to PlusNets mailbox setup page, not 1&1s. You don't need to create any mailboxes on 1&1, only on PlusNet.
N/A

Domain Names – Help!

Brilliant. Thanks for your help Peter.