cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Name Questions

N/A

Domain Name Questions

I've been looking at registering a domain name as I want to run a blog from my plusnet website but with a better looking and more relevant url.

I've got the blog set up ok, so no issue there (thanks to excellent posts I found in this forum!)

My questions are :-

1. I have been looking at a company that will register my chosen .co.uk domain with Nominet, give me web forwarding and email forwarding, for only £7.50 for 2 years. Is this too good to be true? Most people seem to charge £25 for a Nominet registration. Am I missing something here?

2. I've been reading all the plusnet information regarding registering of domains, and hosting of domains - but, if I had this domain with web forwarding, why would I need any involement at the plusnet end? This company's site says they direct url requests to my chosen domain to any other URL that I desire (i.e. my plusnet one) and that this redirection is seemless and to the user appears as though they are accessing my registered domain name and not the one to which they were diverted. If this is the case, what is the point of "hosting" the domain at plusnet?

I'm afraid I just don't really understand this aspect of running websites, despite reading all the plusnet information. If someone could explain it to me and answer the above questions I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
Pochard
10 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Domain Name Questions

Firstly, who is the company? We may be able to tell you whether or not they're any good.

I, and many other forum regulars, recommend 123reg.co.uk. Because for about £6 they'll register a .co.uk domain with complete control over everything and include web / email forwarding.

Secondly, with regards to hosting with Plusnet. Web forwarding is OK, but any experienced user would be able to tell quite easily that it is simply forwarding to Plusnet.

Basically the website runs in a frameset, so your domain is shown in the browser window at the top, but if you hover over links etc... it will show your plusnet web address in the status bar etc...

For ease of navigation, ease of use and better listings on the search engines, in my opinion, you are much better off hosting the domain with Plusnet. Most packages include free domain hosting, in that the domain is registered with a company elsewhere but all the DNS settings are held with PN. This will actually give the user the genuine feeling that the host is properly and professionally hosted.

Furthermore, all your Plusnet email address will patch over your domain. So, email@domain.co.uk and email@username.plus.com will come into the same mailbox, and email2@domain.co.uk to email2@username.plus.com etc...

So you get much better control over your site, better search rankings, and a more profesionally looking site.
N/A

Domain Name Questions

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

The company I was looking at was called "Low Cost Names" - a division of Advantage Interactive Ltd - admittedly I hadn't looked very far.

Now, I know PlusNet will register the domain for me for free, but I have to pay £1 per month + VAT for them to host it too - right? So I reckon about £30 a year - hence the reason I was looking into this other plan.

Are you saying therefore, that it's better to register my domain elsewhere to save money, then just get them to change their nameservers to point to Plusnet so that plusnet host it - and then I'd have to pay PlusNet's monthly fee to keep it - are am I getting two things confused here...?! Shockedops:
LiamM
Grafter

Domain Name Questions

Yes, I am saying that.

Though I've never heard of that domain name registrar, I would avoid them and go for 123reg.co.uk.

Plusnet wont register the domain for free. That £1/month is basically for the registration, and also hosting.

You can however host domains for free with most Plusnet packages, e.g. Broadband Home Lite and Premier accounts can host upto 3 domains FOC.

What I would do is register with 123reg.co.uk, for £6 for 2 years and point the nameservers to Plusnet. Therefore all you'll have to pay is the £6, nothing else.
N/A

Domain Name Questions

And it all becomes clear Cheesy

Thanks for your help.... time to sleep now - my brain really struggled with that one :lol:
LiamM
Grafter

Domain Name Questions

No problem.... Good night Smiley
channel
Grafter

Domain Name Questions

www.simply.com is a company I have used for 6 years for domain registration and have been quite excellent throughout that period. They are also cheap as chips.
N/A

Domain Name Questions

Ok, I have registered my domain through 123-reg and to check it worked set up the web forwarding and sure enough it worked as you said it would with the links showing the actual plusnet URL's. So then I changed the nameservers to point to the plusnet ones (which has the effect of removing the webforwarding).

Is there anything else I need to do now or is that it? The plusnet info has this to say

I want to point my domain (hosted elsewhere) to PlusNet, how do I do this?
The nameservers for the domain would require to be changed to:

NS1.FORCE9.NET 195.166.128.16
NS2.FORCE9.NET 195.166.128.17

You need to then send a Contact Us ticket to us requesting that we transfer in the domain leaving the administrative and billing contacts as they are.

So is this the last stage I need to do? I notice my domain is no longer accessible which tells me that the dns servers have been changed at the 123-reg end so I guess it's right to proceed through plusnet now?

Thanks,
Pochard
LiamM
Grafter

Domain Name Questions

Yes, simply raise a ticket through the contact us wizard, ensuring you select DNS Only Hosting. And they will add it to your account.
N/A

Domain Name Questions

Thanks Liam,

I am nearly there! Cheesy

So, I have my domain, my ticket had been actioned and I can now control my domain via PlusNet.

Now, my weblog is going to be running from cgi.<username>.plus.com/<foldername> and of course, via standard means I can't point mydomain.co.uk to the cgi server, only to a subfolder of my www space.

So, I think this is what I need to do - just seeking clarification...

1. Create a CNAME record pointing mydomain.co.uk at cgi.<username>.plus.com

2. create a .htaccess file in root folder of cgi.<username>.plus.com that redirects traffic to mydomain.co.uk to <foldername>

Would that sound about right?

TIA
N/A

Domain Name Questions

Ok, I did as I was saying in my last post. My only problem now is that when I type in my new domain name, I get redirected to the correct folder on my CGI webspace, BUT my address bar shows the CGI webspace URL, not my new domain name.

Any ideas? I guess it's to do with the way I'm doing the redirect?

TIA