Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Mail delievey Option - POP3 and ETRN

the_norris
Grafter

Hi

I read that PlusNet does not support ETRN mail collection. is this correct?

So as my mail software only supports ETRN. (Using Novell Groupwise ) so I need to use the PFA (Novells' POP forwarding Agent) which can connect to POP3 accounts to collect mail.

I have domain name hosted via PN but need all mail to be delivered to ONE POP3 Mail account (Catch all). Can this been done?

Thanks

Phil
12 REPLIES
lowry
Grafter

Hi,
I believe that plusNet do not support this type of mail collection unfortunately.

Cry Me being thick - I am not even sure what it is!

matt Wink
the_norris
Grafter

The problme is that the novell software (GWIA - GroupWise Internet Agent) can't do a finger command to restart mail delievey. So I cant set the mail delievey options to SMTP with my IP as main MX rec and PN as Sec MX record.

The GWIA only supports ETRN adn PN dont.
N/A

I have to admit, I am very thick and don't know anything about Novel, other than the Client side utilities and how much fun they used to be for getting free resources of the college netow... it wasn't me OK.

Does Novel not have a scedualing agent?
Does it not have a finger client? If not, does it have some scriptable languages with socket support?

Even if you can't get the mail server to directly attempt a finger, you can get the server to activate one anyhow using other means, which should initiate delivery.

Beyond all that, yes, PlusNet provide a catch-all accounts for POP3.

By default, the malbox you login to useing "username" is a catchall. So any e-mail that has no specific mailbox for collection, ends up in that catchall.

The catch-all can be disabled too now, following the link:contact us system.
Community Veteran

And just to claify the email system Plusnet have for domains... mail addressed to say fred@domain1.com and fred@domain2.com, both end up in the mailbox called fred@username.plus.com. There are no separate mailboxes for domains, they all eventually end up in a @username.plus.com mailbox.

Also if you have no specifically created a 'named' mailbox called fred, the fred@username.plus.com emails end up in the catch-all mailbox as explained above.
the_norris
Grafter

Novell does have a POP3 agent to collect mai cal PFA (POP3 Forwarding Agent). This works by colledting the mail via POP3 then feeding this into the GWIA for converstion to Groupwise format.. That not to hard to setup.

But the only problem this as Peter points out the catch-all mail goes to the UserName.plus.com account. What I what is a catch-all for the domain name.

Eg: all mail adress to Huh??@DomainName.co.uk to DomainMail@Username.plus.com

So it keeps mail Huh??@username.plus.com catch-all to Username@username.plus.com

I know that this sort of thinh cab be done as I have another domain host with different Company - and all mail (catch-all) gets sent to mailbox@username.plus.com

Can plusnet do this or provide ETRN support.?

I use the plus net addresses for personall use and what to use the domain.co.uk for Biz use.
the_norris
Grafter

This been thinks about acarr's script idea.

Can the finger command be sent from another PC? and how?

Phil
Community Veteran

But the only problem this as Peter points out the catch-all mail goes to the UserName.plus.com account. What I what is a catch-all for the domain name.

Eg: all mail adress to Huh??@DomainName.co.uk to DomainMail@Username.plus.com

So it keeps mail Huh??@username.plus.com catch-all to Username@username.plus.com

PlusNets mail system cannot do this I'm afraid.

I know that this sort of thinh cab be done as I have another domain host with different Company - and all mail (catch-all) gets sent to mailbox@username.plus.com

Sounds like the other mail provider has a wildcard redirect option, which is also something PlusNet don't have.

Can plusnet do this or provide ETRN support.?

No to either at present.
N/A

Can the finger command be sent from another PC? and how?

Yes and depends.

The finger needs to have a source IP of that of your SMTP server. So if using NAT, provided the machine sending it is mapped to that IP too, then you should be OK.
Ianwild
Grafter

Any machine that can generate traffic from the same IP will be able to dequeue the mail... A Telnet connection on port 79 will normally be enough to dequeue the mail.

Does this work?

telnet://autoturn.plus.net:79

Regards,
the_norris
Grafter

The finger needs to have a source IP of that of your SMTP server. So if using NAT, provided the machine sending it is mapped to that IP too, then you should be OK.

Yes I'm using a NAT Router - so the finger or the Telnet command from another PC on my LAN will trigger it?

Another question before I make the changed to DNS. As the e-mail stuff is linked from domain to username.plus.com. Will changing the dns for domain.co.uk effect the main username.plus.com one? If there not effect on the main username.plus.com - I will play about with the dns for domain.co.uk and try out the ideas suggested here.

Phil
Ianwild
Grafter

If you setup the MX records on your domain manually, only the domain email will be delivered by SMTP. If you change to the SMTP mail setting in the Email Settings section of the portal, you will also get username.plus.com mail by SMTP.

Regards,

Ian
the_norris
Grafter

Thanks for the Info Ian.

I changed domain e-mail delievey option to SMTP under the domain section of the portal.

Well Iis working ok. - when the GWIA is up. So I tested sending an e-mail when the GWIA was down. Wait a few mins. Then reloaded the GWIA - No new mail.

So did a finger command
finger postmaster@autoturn.plus.net
from a pc on my LAN. Bingo! Then queued mail got forward to the GWIA! Yipp.

All I need to do is the automate the finger command. Does any one know of any JAVA command line finger programs.

Did a search for Novell NLM finger programs - nope found. But Novell can run Java programs.

Thanks all for you help.

Phil