cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does website URL give Email address to Spammers

pcorker
Grafter

1. Once spammers have my username as shown openly in my webspace URL am I right that they can't successfully email me at: anyoldprefix@myusername.plus.com? I presume that they have to use the prefix(s) that I am currently using.
2. On the first occasion that I send, via the OE account I have set up to use PlusNet email, is an area opened for me on their server under that prefix only?
3. By having a string of OE PlusNet accounts with different email address prefixes I can have a string of addresses active at the same time?
4. When an address attracts a lot of spam (eg as a webpage contact) I can just stop using it. Do I tell PlusNet to close it?

After having a single email address at Freeserve I am new to multiple ones. Hopefully that's 4 "yesses"
4 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Re: Does website URL give Email address to Spammers

1. Once spammers have my username as shown openly in my webspace URL am I right that they can't successfully email me at: anyoldprefix@myusername.plus.com? I presume that they have to use the prefix(s) that I am currently using.
Wrong - everything sent to @username.plus.com is delivered to your main email box by default - so if a spammer sent an email to sgsofhdsiubwg@username.plus.com, it would be delivered to you.
2. On the first occasion that I send, via the OE account I have set up to use PlusNet email, is an area opened for me on their server under that prefix only?
Sort of... as above, anything@username.plus.com is delivered directly to you. You can, though, create mailboxes and redirects through Email Settings
and can see help on this at http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?vfzo51T9UtU%3D
3. By having a string of OE PlusNet accounts with different email address prefixes I can have a string of addresses active at the same time?
Yes.
4. When an address attracts a lot of spam (eg as a webpage contact) I can just stop using it. Do I tell PlusNet to close it?

You can add a reidrect on Email Settings to blackhole@abuse.plus.com which means all email sent to thealias@username.plus.com disappears.

After having a single email address at Freeserve I am new to multiple ones.
Hmm, when I was with Freeserve the setup was similar to PlusNet - less all the control PlusNet give you.

Appologies if I've misunderstood anything Smiley
pcorker
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, Colin... well, actually I am horified! If I have got this right then the web-bots will harvest what is my "after the @" from my website URL and pass it to the spammers who will put on a random prefix and an @ and use it to offer me yet more vi@gr@! And I am stuck with that.
The answer seems to open several mailboxes to collect mail from the prefixes that I want to use ; read only those and never bother looking in my "any-prefix" account. Presumably it auto-empties after a while Is this a good direction to move in? I will read up on this when I have time.
Thanks,
Pat.
pcorker
Grafter

A late night PS to my last post:
You are right that you don't need a unique prefix at Freeserve - I thought you did and I have been with them for years - so i feel a bit silly! That leaves me puzzled as to why spammers don't seem to do what I suggested in my last post - perhaps their other methods are just much easier! Maybe what I saw as a problem ... isn't?
Time to put my spinning head on the pillow!
Community Veteran

read only those and never bother looking in my "any-prefix" account. Presumably it auto-empties after a while

No, it will not auto-empty, you are responsible for deleting any unwanted email received - i.e. manage your own email account.

Is this a good direction to move in? I will read up on this when I have time.
Thanks,

Yes creating several email accounts which you monitor will help, and one of those must be postmaster@.... and the rest you can manage (i.e. delete) with webmail.