cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does plusnet filter ports 135 and 445

N/A

I recently performed a port scan and was surprised to see my ports 135 and 445 appeared 'filtered' when they should have been 'closed'. Is this an ISP thing?
3 REPLIES
N/A

PlusNet say they filter or block no ports.
More than likely your firewall.

Whoops, forgot about the response to the Blaster Worm. Shockedops:
N/A

Were you port scanning your own machine and if so from where? What do you mean by 'filtered' and what do you mean by 'closed'?

---

If you look at the announcements forum you'll see that due to the prominence of Blaster and Nachi (sp?) type viruses that plus.net are trying to limit their effect and this may include some traffic blocking, although neither of the two most recent announcements explicitly mention it.

Personally, I think that an ISP shouldn't, in general, block any traffic but allow you to make your own decisions as to what you block and what you allow. However, I'm a pragmatist and in the case of clearly unwanted virus/worm generated traffic it is much more expedient to have your ISP block it, and this is especially true for users with less technical network experience.

I think plus.net have the balance pretty good at the moment. Smiley

Charles.
N/A

PlusNet are currently blocking connections to port 135 and 445 on the network border (so noone outside of plusnet's network can connect to someone inside of plusnet's network on those ports). This was to prevent the spread of the Blaster worms, and all of the varients. The decision was originally left up to users, and many of them got infected before PlusNet put these security measure in place, so even though the worm was blocked at the network borders, some users had already brought it inside.

As for within the network, plusnet have recently announced this (as hashpling mentioned), though they aren't specifically blocking the ports. They will monitor activity on these ports, and if they find that it matches the activity of a PC infected with a worm they will filter the connections made by that user.