cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dodgy email

N/A

Dodgy email

I'm glad to say that my plusnet email account has been relatively spam-free up to now.
However I just got what looked like an email from yellowpages.com asking for my payment details.
On closer inspection it was hoping to redirect me to 'yeloV Vpages'.
I think this is the first time I've had one of these spoof emails.
Needles to say,I don't have an account with yellowpages.

They must have got my email address from details I logged with a website registration.

I hope this isn't going to be the beginnings of a flood.... :?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Dodgy email

If it seems like a semi legitimate company read through the message headers to find the email address where it came from or check the domain where the website mentioned is located.

I generally email whoever the admin contact of the domain explaining thier need to remove me from thier list. If they email me with spam again I return it to the domain owner about 60-100 times over. Usually works....

Chris
N/A

Dodgy email

Fight spam with spam, I like it Smiley
Community Veteran

Dodgy email

Yes and it works.

All my encounters since I've used this method have been with semi reputable companies however. I havent had to deal with anyone wanting help in obtaining money from some bank account in Africa or anyone offering to extend any of my body parts yet though :p

Chris
csogilvie
Grafter

Dodgy email

Its amazing how quickly you can be asked to help people move money from Africa if an email address getes out on the web.
N/A

Dodgy email

Ive just given up with spam on my current domain(it is with another ISP, who I have been with for 3 years or so), so much spam. Even with SpamAssassin loads still get through..im going to take PlusNet up on their £1 .co.uk domain offer I belive Smiley.