Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distance Trading Laws

Firejack
Grafter

Distance Trading Laws

Hello,
Need some legal tips here. I'm under the impression that with the UK Distance Trading Act I'm allowed to return goods or discontinue a service within 7 working days if I'm unhappy with the product.

I'm trying to cancel my contract with a hosting company Streamline.net but they seem to be ignoring my request to do so.

In 4 years of buying online I've never had this problem before returning anything.

Anyone know what I can do to refund my money?

Cheers!
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Distance Trading Laws

You need to make the request via whatever channel they have stated in your contract eg email, web form, recorded delivery letter? And ideally have some form of proof that you sent it.

Also if it's a business only provider and you are seen as acting as a business in using the service the distance selling act might not apply.

Best thing to do though is speak to trading standards or citizens advice.

Chros
N/A

Distance Trading Laws

If it remains within the 7 days, then I suggesting writting to them via registered post.

THIS (Richtext file) document is a good starter to use.

I would also note that failure to acknowledge the issue within 14 days, and you will proceed to the next stage.

At that time, you are advised to leave it a month, then start proceedings with the small claims court.

If you are outside of the 7 days, then do the above. Also include dated copies of anything you have sent to them.
Firejack
Grafter

Distance Trading Laws

I have contacted them through their support portal which serves as the primary method of contact to request the cancelation and I took screenshots of myself doing it.

Guess its time to look over that suggested letter.

Great. Thanks for the tips guys.
Firejack
Grafter

Distance Trading Laws

Thanks for the help guys. They are now processing the request to refund my money. They suddenly become very helpful when I threatened to escalate the issue with that letter Cool
N/A

Distance Trading Laws

Who was it out of interest?
Firejack
Grafter

Distance Trading Laws

You mean the company I had problems with? It was Streamline.net