Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did You Know..........

qorn
Grafter

Did You Know..........

The bloke that ereated PlusNet also created ebuyer

History....

In 1991 Paul Cusack placed an advert in the local newspaper for some second user equipment he had acquired from a previous business venture. In only a few days he had received floods of phone calls and could have sold his equipment ten times over.

Over the next 7 years Choice Peripherals Ltd. was to become one of the largest mail order resellers in the UK, of computers and computer related equipment with over 200,000 satisfied customers. During this 7 year period, Paul also capitalized on an opportunity within the ISP market and built Plusnet Technologies within the space of 2 years to over 300,000 subscribers. The two companies were so successful that Choice and Plusnet Technologies were acquired by overseas computer company Insight Enterprises Incorporated (www.insight.com) in April 1998.

It was at this point that Paul decided to leave Insight and create ebuyer:

"The knowledge and experience of running a mail order company and a high tech Internet Service Provider has allowed me to create something unique to the UK market. By utilizing the latest internet applications and technologies we are able to create a whole new exp erience for UK consumers and businesses that buy over the internet".

By focusing our efforts on key areas, we believe that we have the right ingredients to satisfy the experienced internet buyer as wel l as the new e-commerce consumer.
8 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Did You Know..........

Also runs f9.co.uk apparently Wink (which is confusing to be honest....lol....)

From the bottom of the page:

© PlusNet plc. All Rights Reserved. E&OE
Community Veteran

Did You Know..........

Force9, free-online and PlusNet are all the same company. There are also a number of other vISP (Virtual ISPs) they run for other companies.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Did You Know..........

I must admit, I'm rather curious......... if there's no difference between the services provided by each, why not just combine them into a single entity? (or am I missing something here?)
qorn
Grafter

Did You Know..........

I supose that when someone signs up to the net, they just try a isp, if they have several isps then they will have more chance of getting business.

Also when people get anoyed with plusnet, they may move to say another vISP where they think that things would be diferent.

Just a thought

Kind Regards

Dave
Community Veteran

Did You Know..........

The 3 vISPs were aimed at a different types of customer.

Force9 was created for the gaming community and is where the online game servers are located.
Free-online was created to compete with BT's dialup surftime products
PlusNet was created as a general / business ISP.

They can't be merged as each had independant registrations and there are many common usernames between the 3 ISPs with no easy way to correct this.

All 3 vISPs use the same underlying PlusNet network and equipment and staff.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Did You Know..........

Oh right....... cheers for the explanation Peter Smiley
N/A

Did You Know..........

pst :twisted:

The number of ISPs PlusNet run is very small.

Take a look at THIS, for truly huge numbers of vISPs Tongue
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Did You Know..........

hehe, don't get me started on Tiscali........ Evil