cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diallers and stuff

worcsdave
Grafter

Diallers and stuff

Had a weird experience today; after shutting down pc in the morning, when I rebooted it later on a 'new hardware detected' notice appeared - odd, because I haven't installed anything new.
Then I couldn't get a connection with my Binatone ADSL modem and ended up having to reinstall the drivers for it.
Can't help thinking that I must have inadvertently downloaded some piece of malicious software and am now worried that there might be a dodgy dialler lurking somewhere on my pc innards!
Any suggestions for: 1. How to check to see if there IS a dialler somewhere on my pc (I've already run Adaware and nothing shows up)
2. How to check that the connection I'm using at home is legit and not via some mega expensive phone line?

Cheers!
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Diallers and stuff

I can answer 2 make sure the only modem plugged into the phone line is the binatone ADSL one - it wont be able to use a dailup connection.
craigbrass
Grafter

Diallers and stuff

Get Spybot by clicking here and run it, it will detect such crap.

Aslong as you only have your ADSL connected to the phone line and not a dialup modem connected to it, your fine. ADSL modems cannot dial premium rate numbers.
worcsdave
Grafter

Diallers and stuff

Hmm that's good to know - that ADSL modem cannot access premium rate lines.
I don't think I have any other modems installed - certainly my BINATONE adsl modem is the only one plugged into the BT phone socket. So that should be OK?

Cheers and thanks for your help.
N/A

Diallers and stuff

Indeed. Even if you have other modems installed, you should be safe in the knowedge that they can't be used unless the modem is actualy plugged into the phone line.

That doesn't however mean you should ignore dialers that have been install on your computer. They can also serve other malicious purposes.
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hello,

Well from past experience "the above comments" are only half the picture, lets put it this way. Some dialler malware are just incredibly aggresive at installing themselves onto a system, they can be so fast that you dont have time to stop them & they commonly get through on port 80 which is used by IE6 or other web browsers. They can install themslves in seconds flat, yes! all very scary and worrying to the novice or unweiry. And Yes! such daillers can and will get through a good firewall because a legitimate port 80 is open and in use for web surfing (thats part of the problem).

**No! that's actully not quite correct not all ad aware or spyware type programs can detect or remove daillers as such (dont know about spybot S&D to be fair). Although many of these programs will. You have to remember that spyware or malware detection programs are looking for tracking, or snoopware, tracking cookies,etc and so a dailler could potentially be a legit peice of software.

**actually diallers a extremely low risk now a days on ADSL (broadband connections) connections but that of course doesnt stop the most aggressive of them still trying to install themsleves onto your system though. As someone has already said previously even if the dailler gets into your system it wont work as it has to be able to connect to another site by calling a phone number (daillers are designed to connect via phone numbers on slow dialup phone lines and call another site with a modem and then transfer data about you or off your machine. But its well out of date these days or to put it another way its OLD technology now).

**IMO Trojen infections are of far more concern than daillers due to their sneeking, lurking and stealthy behaviour. I recommend that you download a trial copy (just for the purposes of checking your system) for the following package called trojen hunter (URL) http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
worcsdave
Grafter

Diallers and stuff

Thanks everyone for setting my mind at rest. It's good to know that broadband modems are a bit more secure - but for how long, I wonder?

Cheers
jabb0
Grafter

Diallers and stuff

I see mentioned above some tools such as Adaware or Spybot - these are great and should be used, but came a cross a situation where neither of these find the offending file.

After a long hog on the net trying to find something to help.
I found Xoftspy
and it found the offending file - but required me to register to remove it... however it did show the filepath of the offending file - thus i could go an delete it manually.

Granted doing this job manually for lots of malware would be well nearing on impossible, my point here is that after all else has failed it is then when you should try spybot.

It saved me from a reinstall!!!
craigbrass
Grafter

Diallers and stuff

To be honest, dialers are now on the fall because of broadband connections, aslong as more and more people get broadband, dialers should eventually dissappear hopefully.
Alecto
Grafter

Diallers and stuff

Have they developed "diallers" yet that use the broadband VOIP link such as Pn will soon have to chargeable networks, so that they can make expensive broadband calls for you?

Just think how many simultaneous calls at £10 a minute you could make on a 2Mb line............
craigbrass
Grafter

Diallers and stuff

DON'T SAY THAT, IT'LL GIVE PEOPLE IDEAS!!!!
Alecto
Grafter

Diallers and stuff

I'm sure people like that already have far more ideas than I have.. Tongue
craigbrass
Grafter

Diallers and stuff

Like that cat in your display pic, it looks evil, am sure it has created VOIP dialers already *winks*
Alecto
Grafter

Diallers and stuff

You'd certainly think that if you were a weasel or a vole.
:twisted:
craigbrass
Grafter

Diallers and stuff

LOL, Yup.