cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial-up wihtout prompting - is this a security risk ?

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Something triggers a dial-up to Plusnet from time to time on my pc without my requesting it. I don not allow automatic dial-up, so I get the standard pop-up dial-up window for me to confirm. I have tried to find what it is that is causing this but I cannot find anything obvious. I thought the firewall log might give the game away but it does not help.

I have swept for viruses (AVG) and spyware (Lavasoft) and I am apparently clean. I delete such cookies as I allow and clear out the temporary internet file daily but my cookie settings are set to HIGH except when a site will not allow me access without enabling cookies, when I lower the barrier temporarily.

I have never encountered a serious virus attack or found any spies of real concern. So how do I find out what it is that is instigating these dial-up attempts to Plusnet ?
4 REPLIES
N/A

You need to disable dial up.

Open Internet Explorer, click on tools,internet options,connections and then enable "Never dial a connection" option.
shermans
Rising Star

Thanks, I have actually just recently done that which stops it, but I am still left wondering what it is that is trying to do it but there seems to be no way of finding out. In the good old days of DOS, we were all in much better control !!
MysteryFCM
Grafter

The most likely cause is an application checking for updates (i.e. antivirus). However, if it helps any, one of the programs I've found invaluable for traffic analysis is "What is Transferring" (freeware) from LionMax Software.

http://www.wfshome.com/wit.htm

VERY light on the resources for a packet monitor.
shermans
Rising Star

Thanks, I'll try that.