cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial up issues with Plus Net

N/A

I am trying to setup my linux server at home so that I can access plus net over a dial up link. I need to use this link for accessing the cgi servers when setting up my webspace. My normal connection to the internet is though a routed network connection via a cable modem (1Mbit). I have no problems configuring the linux box to do host based routing over ppp (the dial up link) for the cgi servers, but seem to have hit a brick wall at the first stage.

I configured the linux server, but seemed unable to establish a connection to plus.net so I tried using a terminal emulator to make sure my modem config is correct. If I dial plus net manually when the modems connect I get rubbish, if I dial another ISP I get a logon prompt as you would expect. I have tried three different makes of modem, all showing the same problem, but connect to other ISPs with no problem.

I have used the contact us option to log a call, but support are unable to help as they do not support linux, which is fare enough, but this problem is more fundamental. Below is the transcript from the dial session using the terminal emulator. Am I missing something and being really dense?

-------8<-----------------8<-----------------8<-----------------8<-----------------8<----------
Welcome to minicom 2.00.0

OPTIONS: History Buffer, F-key Macros, Search History Buffer, I18n
Compiled on Jan 25 2003, 00:15:18.

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

atz
OK
atdt08089933000
CONNECT 38400
~ }#.!}!W} }9}"}&} }*} } }#}%.#}%}%}&..o.}'}"}(}"}1.~~ }#.!}!X} }9}"}&} }*} } }#}%.#}%}%}&..o.}'}"}(}"..~~ }#.!}!Y} }9}"}&} }*} } }~
OK
a
NO CARRIER
atdt08452120666
CONNECT 38400
war1-lac-69.access.demon.net
login:
OK
ath0

OK
-------8<-----------------8<-----------------8<-----------------8<-----------------8<----------

Thanks in advance

- Paul
4 REPLIES
N/A

I don't pretend to understand the technology, can't help you there, but just a thought ....

"My normal connection to the internet is though a routed network connection via a cable modem (1Mbit). "

You're not trying to dial 08089933000 from a cable line are you?
That one's for an unmetered account, which you can only use on a BT line - the cable companies won't carry the 0808 calls, which (if that's what you are trying to do) might explain the "No carrier" message.
For normal pay as you go dial up, it's 08451400101.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Paul,

As Gordon suggests if you are connecting from a non-BT line you won't be able to use the 0808 number. The best thing to do is either try dialling the 0808 number on your telephone handset and listening for a fax type noise and trying the 0845 number.
Community Veteran

The fact that you see a CONNECT 38400 message suggests the call was successful, the modem tone was detected and a successfull connection was made. The funny text suggests possibly a speed or 7bit/8bit difference between sender and receiver. Why it should drop after that I have no idea.

Does the same thing happen with the 0845 number?
N/A

I have tried the 0845 number again getting the same response, I have also tried varying the baud rate and parity/stop bit settings again to see if this solves the problem.

Normally when parity is wrong you would get lots of xxx and ~~~'s.

I have tried other dial up numbers with other ISP's and have no problems.

The current modem I am using is a SupraExpress, but have had the same problem with a courier and multitech modem.

This is slowy driving me round the bend.

- Paul