cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debug problem with MS IE 6

N/A

Okay I've been having this problem a while now and its really starting to get on my nerves. Whenever I visit some websites (without any sort of connection or common theme) like for instance at the moment this problem is occuring with www.suprnova.org I get about 5 dialog boxes which say something like this (an example from the aforementioned website):

[ERROR] [ X ]
A Runtime error has occurred
Do you wish to Debug?

Line: 33
Error: Object Expected

[Yes] [No]

This problem also usually occurs at the same time as another problem where none of the pictures on a website appear correctly, until I right click on one and choose 'Show Picture'.
Now for the first problem I can disable script debugging in the IE options, but I cannot help the problem with the disappearing pictures. At first I thought maybe it was a problem with my Freeserve anytime connection, but just yesterday I upgraded to PlusNet 1mb Home ADSL, and the problem persists. Does anyone have any idea just what the problem could be? I have KazaaLite installed and I know that causes problems with some Image servers, but I can't believe all of the websites I visit have the same servers, but then perhaps I'm misunderstanding what that does?
12 REPLIES
N/A

Clear your Internet cache and cookies and try again. Before you do, note any passwords or auto login's that may be stored in your cookies !!!!
Missing images can be because IE6 thinks the images stored on disk for that page are correct, but they may not be present or corrupt.
If you do a "refresh page" and the images appear, this tends to point to internet cache problems.
incidentally, suprnova displays OK for me.
N/A

The debug message is caused by the visual debugger. I beleive this is a part component of MS Office.

You can disable it going to Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced tab then clicking Disable script debug.
N/A

Yeah I did say that in my original message Wink
Anyway I'm just wondering why this happens on so many webpages? I mean they can't all be really badly coded, so is this just the MS component being extremely picky or is their a problem?
Community Veteran

The different browsers available interpret javascript (and HTML for that matter) in slightly differing ways so it may work for one but not for another. I suspect a lot of pages were designed for IE and get errors with Mozilla, Opera etc and some may have been designe for Mozilla and get errors on IE. It really depends on the environment in which the page design was done and not every page will have been tested with all available browsers so errors often crop up.

And not every web developer is an expert in writing scripts - sometimes common ones are downloaded from script archive sites so they all get the same error.

I have just tried the supanova site with IE6 sp2 and Mozilla 1.5 and get no script errors from either.

What browser and version are you running?
N/A

6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633

Does that tell you anything?
Community Veteran

Same IE version as mine so it's strange you are getting errors and I am not.

Either it's a config difference in the browser or the fact that I am using Suns Java engine and not Microsofts JVM which you are probably using, but as it's javascript I don't see how having suns java engine would make a difference.
N/A

Have you got any program development tools on your system?

Borland Delphi for example replaces the default system debugger (DrWatson or something I think) with it's own, but warns about saving the original setting so you can manually restore it later.

Maybe Visual Studio and others do something similar?
N/A

No I don't think I do. I have a disk somewhere with Visual Studio on it from my A-Level computing days but I never installed it. Not something I'm particularly involved in.

I did use Sun Java on an older machine but I couldn't find it (but then I didn't try very hard) to install on this one. Anyway without the script debugger option in Internet Options, I don't get the errors, I still get the odd picture problem though. Doesn't seem to be a cache thing because it happens regularly on sites I haven't visited before.
N/A

Your not by any chance running Zone Alarm are you?

Their web filtering stuff works by adding a javascript line to the top of each website before it reaches your browser.

I seem to remember a few minor versions back they obviously had some problems with their javascript code and it caused that to occur on almost every page you visited.

Similarly if a picture is linked to another site.. it blocked them as well..
Community Veteran

I use ZA Pro and have all Privacy settings turned off (cookie control, Ad blocking) as it corrupted many web site pages. More trouble than it was worth.

[rant] ZoneLabs are trying to add too many bells and whistles and don't always know what they are doing. They should just stick to firewall coding which is what they do best and leave the rest to those who do know what they are doing[/rant]

I now use decent ad/pop-up blocking software.
N/A

Nope I don't have Zone Alarm. I do have Kazaa Lite and theres a thing included in that which installs over the HOSTS file in your windows/system folder and it apparently blocks a lot of image servers. I tried un and reinstalling Kazaa Lite and then leaving the "Supertrick" option unticked, but I'm still getting a lot of image problems, Suprnova especially. The worst affected used to be Gamespot.com because at times I wasn't even able to get on that website at all. I found out all this about Kazaa Lite through their forums, because they'd heard of that problem before. Quite a problem as I find Kazaa Lite about the fastest and easiest to use.
Community Veteran

Uninstalling Kazza may not have cleared out your hosts file so the same blocking may still occur even without Kazza installed.

Also unticking the supertrick may also not clear out the hosts.

Try looking for your hosts file (XP it's in windows\system32\drivers\etc) and clearing it out (after making a copy) - but leave the localhost line in (usually the first line after some comments #). It will probably contain a list of entries like 127.0.0.1 domain name. With the hosts cleared out see if you get the same problems.

A lot of the missing graphics may be banner ads which the entries in the hosts file are there to block them.