cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dangerously Fraudulant

jabb0
Grafter

Dangerously Fraudulant

I received an email in my inbox this evening, telling me i have made a transaction using my credit card.

I am quite sure i never authorised such an action.

please follow this link and advise me on how to castrate the owners of this site

http://www.citibank.com.trf-en.us/citifi/scripts/login/home/?consumer=jabb0@hotmail.com_s1&lgntype=D...

i am very surprised about the professionalism with which this site has been developed - its scary!!!

Me thinks junk email is getting very dangerous
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Dangerously Fraudulant

Just one of many phishing scams doing the rounds.

I suggest you report it to citibank fraud/abuse dept.

click on http://www.citibank.com/us/index.htm then click on about email fraud. Also include full email headers when reporting it.
jabb0
Grafter

Dangerously Fraudulant

man this is sick, think of the amount of ppl who probably wouldnt even think twice, i have read a few things about this already, but is there no legal autority to which this can be reported?

and how can i be sure these guys havent hacked an account of mine somewhere, and authorised a transfer, maybe a little over paranoid, but id like to be sure, my bank is not goin to be open at this how to ring an find out
Community Veteran

Dangerously Fraudulant

There is nothing you can do but report the email to citibank and let them deal with it. Often the websites/servers are outside anyones control in China etc so there is nothing you can actually do to stop it.

As for you bank account, can you check online. If not you will just have to wait until you can contact them. However the email is a fake to get you to enter your bank details so they can get at your account - that is what the actual phishing scam is - to fool you into giving your bank details so they can access your account. If you have not entered any details in the weblink provided then your account has not been compromised. If you have, you MUST report it immediately to your bank and if you can, change your online passwords to your accounts ASAP.
N/A

Unless you actually deal with Citibank personally...

I would put the word 'Citibank' in your filters or message rules to stop the emails from arriving in future. There are loads of those emails doing the rounds at the moment.
N/A

Dangerously Fraudulant

Yup, I got one a couple of weeks ago - fortunately I treated it as spam and deleted it, so no harm done. You really have to be on your guard these days......
N/A

Dangerously Fraudulant

I work for Lloyds TSB, and have to deal with scams like this all the time (although the majority of the ones involving us tend to be looking for internet banking logon details).

The scams are actually very easy to set up - the reason the websites look so professional is that they are normally modified copies of the genuine company's site (so the layout, graphics etc are allways identical - only the content changes).

With a little scripting (almost all free web hosts support scripting of some sort), the site can be designed to e-mail the details people give to a mailbox, so the scammers need never access the site again - they just sit back and wait for the details to flood in.

The best advice has already been given - if you notify your bank (or the institution they are impersonating) then all customers can be warned, and you could save someone a great deal of money.