cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Damaged Internet Connection Due To Spyware

N/A

Hi All,

Last night while installing an application, I pressed the next button a bit to quickly and a load of spyware attempted to install on my PC Shockedops: . Thankfully most of it failed to install (due to anti-spyware apps) and the rest was quickly removed.

However it's had a lasting effect on my PC, and damaged my internet connection in someway. The Net result being that if I use IMON (Internet Monitor) within NOD32 then I have no connection at all.

I've repeatedly uninstalled NOD32, cleared the registry and all relating files, but I still cannot get to the bottom of the problem.

I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas, before I wipe my machine and start again.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Have you tried a restore point?
N/A

I did, but it won't restore.
N/A

hahahaha ..

er.. checked running services and all that stuff? booted to safe mode? i mean there is little that we will say that you prob havnt tried..as y ou are one of the better ppl online here Smiley

if you do find out waht itwas.. can you tell us Smiley
N/A

Thank You Andy :-P (for the HaHaHa) :lol:

I ended up wiping the drive and starting again, it's easier.

The fault was caused by the spyware damaging NOD32's interface (via winsock, I think) to the network. NOD32 has a repair option but it didn't fix the issue. I'm guess it's a design feature of the spyware to prevent anti-virus software from blocking it's internet access, but it's only a guess.

It's just annoying really, but I'm already 90% up and running :-) good backups :-)

It just goes to show, even with lots of anti-spyware software that you can still get hit (and the list is extensive lol).
holdtight
Grafter

Glad your up and running again Cheesy

Just for future reference what application was it that we should
all avoid like the plague ?
N/A

It's not really an application that needs to be avoided, it was more that I pressed the next button to quickly and passed the page which allows to me to unselect the additional "enhancing applications", spyware to you and me.
N/A

damn man, that sucks. glad you got back up and running though Smiley

Buz
N/A

Woohoo, all back and running :-)

Yeh it sucks, but then so does spy-ware, full stop.

Cheers,

Aaron