cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS settings versus IPSTAG

RobDickson
Grafter

What's the difference between changing the nametags from PlusNet's nametags to my new webhost's nametags and actually changing the IPSTAG of my domain name (http://www.robdickson.co.uk) to that of my new webhost?

Who will I pay for my .co.uk registration when it expires?
3 REPLIES
N/A

The provider that holds control of the IPSTAG, is the company you pay for the domain when it comes to renewal.

You don't have to move your IPSTAG, to provide DNS control to another host (though some providers do).
RobDickson
Grafter

So the only reason to move an IPSTAG is if the .co.uk registration is cheaper with another company. Presumably the whole process is automated either way.
Community Veteran

Correct.

Domain registration companies do 1000s per day and are fully automated which in turn results in bulk discounts which are passed on to users as reduced registration fees.

PlusNet possibly do a few a day and they are all done manually (at present) and are not in the same league as 123reg. They are an ISP with an ability for customers to register domains if they want but there are much cheaper ways of doing this as plusnet charge full prices for all domain registrations.

PlusNet do allow you to host domains on your own webspace (and you can host upto 3 domains for free on the home accounts) but leave the admin/billing with someone else - this is done by just changing the nameserver (DNS) entries to point to plusnets DNS servers, leaving the IPSTAG with the original registration company.