Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS setting (again ... )

Glosh
Grafter

DNS setting (again ... )

HI,

I trying to point my domain (hosted by plusnet) at a different set of servers.

I've been told by several people that I need to set the A fields to:
left field www, right field IP

Can i just confirm that the left field is literally "www" and not the qualified name of the DNS servers I have been told to point to?

I ask 'cos there are some odd things happening with my site, in that the page being displayed is the default page for the secondary DNS server and not my site...

I suspect that there is something wrong at teh web-serverend, but I need to make sure that I have everything set up correctly here before I start banging heads over there....

One thing that I havn't done, is indicate which of the addresses is the primary. What do I put in the primary field to indicate this?

TIA

Mark
4 REPLIES
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Re: DNS setting (again ... )

HI,

I trying to point my domain (hosted by plusnet) at a different set of servers.

I've been told by several people that I need to set the A fields to:
left field www, right field IP

Can i just confirm that the left field is literally "www" and not the qualified name of the DNS servers I have been told to point to?

I ask 'cos there are some odd things happening with my site, in that the page being displayed is the default page for the secondary DNS server and not my site...

I suspect that there is something wrong at teh web-serverend, but I need to make sure that I have everything set up correctly here before I start banging heads over there....

One thing that I havn't done, is indicate which of the addresses is the primary. What do I put in the primary field to indicate this?

TIA

Mark

If I understand you correctly, you're trying to keep your domain here but point it elsewhere (i.e., allow a different set of nameservers to host the authoritative records for your domain name). Unfortunately this isn't possible with our system.

What you were actually doing was pointing a subdomain of your domain name at a nameserver, which won't do anything except break your domain.

If your host allows it, you can point the www subdomain at the IP of their webserver (they will have to set something up called a VirtualHost), some providers do not support this, however.

If you have an unavoidable need for the other provider to host the authoritative records for the domain, you will need to transfer the domain out.
Glosh
Grafter

DNS setting (again ... )

aaah, thanks.

Unfortuanately - the host provides .NET support, which is what I need..

Thanks for the reply. I guess I need to transfer the whole thing out then.
Glosh
Grafter

DNS setting (again ... )

Before I shell out to transfer my domain, I wonder if I am asking the right questions....
----------------------------------------------
Below are the intructions that I am trying to follow in order to get my domain working as I want it to...

Q: What DNS information should I change to direct my domain to this server?
A: Update your domain's DNS information to the following:

1. Logon the Domain Registrar where you purchased your domain name and change the DNS settings to:

Primary DNS:
ns1.ehostingbiz.com
(207.182.248.142)

Secondary DNS:
ns2.ehostingbiz.com
(207.182.248.3)

This will forward your domain name to our servers.
---------------------------------------------------

Am I going the right way about this?

Cheers
Mark
N/A

DNS setting (again ... )

Not allways needed.

You have two choices. The one psoted in there docs, and another where you contact them, to this they support a second method (which will be explained).

1:
You do as they ask, and see that +net transfer the domain out. you are best contacting +net about this, as they will tell you what control you will gain/lose by doing this.

2:
Secondly, you can contact you new provider, and ask if it is possible to host your domain, wihtout transfering DNS control to them. If this is possible, you should ask them what the IP address of the web-serve, you you can point the www subdomain to there systems.

Not all provider will do this, though the better ones will.