cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS records - A or CNAME?

N/A

With SMTP mail delivery I automatically get an A record for mail.mydomain that points to my IP. If I create another record, say for ftp.mydomain, should this be an A record or CNAME record, if I want it to end up at the same IP address as mail?
From reading various DNS information, it seemed that CNAME was the correct approach and that each IP should only have one A record pointing to it.
The thing that confuses me is that each domain hosted at PN has an A record pointing mail.whateverdomain to my IP, so there are already multiple A records pointing to the same IP.

In practice, it doesn't seem to matter - I just wondered what was the correct way, and why?

Geoff
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hi There,

Please check the tutorials and FAQ forums for my thread regarding domain records, this should help you with these.

Chris
N/A

You can find out all about DNS records here.

Basically, if you wish to point a subdomain to an IP address, use an A record. If you wish to point a subdomain to another address (otherdomain.co.uk, ftp.otherdomain.co.uk, etc) then you use CName records.
N/A

Well, it was the FAQ that prompted the question Smiley

From what has been said above, and what is in the FAQ, it seems that either way is acceptable:
mail A - www.xxx.yyy.zzz
www A - www.xxx.yyy.zzz
ftp A - www.xxx.yyy.zzz

or:
mail A - www.xxx.yyy.zzz
www cname - mail
ftp cname - mail

It was just that I thought I had read something sugesting not to do it the first way, but may be I misunderstood. Anyway no problem - as I said, they both seem to work.

Geoff
N/A

The first way makes for harder administration.

If using multiple A records, then you have to update them all. Multiple cname records main that only the single original A record needs changing.